#twenty-two#

A seemingly peaceful night and St

A seemingly peaceful night and St. Juniper's hospital is bustling with speed walking nurses and jogging surgery techs.

It wasn't like this just fifteen minutes ago. It was quiet, almost silent actually. Garrett was almost impressed by the silence of the emergency room. And by silence, he means nothing outside of the usual cough here and there. A nurse call button going off. The constant sound of chatter as nurses and doctors spoke with patients, as pharmacists called up for prescription updates.

Everything was perfectly fine for Harper's first emergency room.

Until it wasn't.

Until they got the announcement that there had been a six car pileup on the expressway and that they were the closest hospital.

Everyone in the vicinity of the receptionist's desk sprung into action to prepare for the influx of emergency medical services that would soon be needed. Harper immediately froze up, stunned by the sudden news and thrown off by everyone's knowledge of exactly what to do. It was like they had no fight or flight response whatsoever. They just knew exactly what to do.

"Don't worry." Garrett assures her. "It comes with time. First thing's first. With emergency things like this, there's gonna be a lot of EMTs coming in and out of this area and needing to know exactly where to go. That's where our director comes in." He gestures to Hyde.

Said man is speaking with two nurses while instructing an EMT where to push a victim of the accident. He's multi-masking in such a composed way that it's almost as if there isn't chaos happening happening around him at all.

"Oh my-." A woman rushes into the emergency room. She looks around in horror as everyone is transported.

A few other people come in right behind her looking just as horrified and panicked.

Garrett takes the other seat at the receptionist's desk and logs into the desktop. He looks over at Harper in a confident, reassuring way. As the people approach the desk, both receptionists turn to help them.

Harper's heart beats rapidly in her chest as the woman begins to speak to her. She's distraught as tears spill from her eyes. Her eyes are red and beginning to puff up. She's in just her pajamas and a think jacket. It's inside out due to her rushing to put it on.

"My son was in a motorcycle accident a few minutes ago. The EMTs said that I couldn't get in the ambulance to ride with him but they said he was coming here. They're bringing him here." She's out of breath and shaken up as she speaks.

Her hands are trembling and her the hairs on her arms are standing straight up against her skin.

"Okay. What's your son's name?"

"Zachary Glasgow." The woman says her son's name and Harper types it in.

"His birthday is March 10th, 1999."