13-15

Chapter 13: Too Close

Cheng Xiyue thought he heard it wrongly.

Make some money? The only way to make money in Xiaosong Hill was to be part of the race.

“You’re joining the race?”

Ning Li nodded.

Cheng Xiyue noticed her slender and petite body. His lips twitched helplessly for a bit before he clicked his tongue.

“Little Ning Li, Xiaosong Hill is dangerous. Are you sure you want to go there?”

Even though both males and females were allowed to participate, there were rarely any girls there—especially an underaged one.

He looked at Lu Huaiyu.

Given Lu Huaiyu’s character, he would never allow her to go do something this dangerous. It was like toying with her own life.

Surprisingly, Lu Huaiyu’s answer defied his expectations.

“You need money?”

Ning Li counted in her head for a moment and said, “Yeah, I have some debts to clear.”

Cheng Xiyue was confused. He knew Ning Li’s background because he had done some research before this.

Previously, she lived together with her grandmother in Lincheng’s old slums. It was true that she had a tough life before this.

It was not surprising if she had some debts to pay off, but Xiaosong Hill?

The prize money for winning the race started from 500,000, and the price would go up from time to time. Just how much money did she need to pay off her debts?

Lu Huaiyu leaned against the seat, his eyes as abysmal as always. No one knew what was going on in his mind.

Ji Shu smiled and said with a raised brow, “Brother Xiyue, this might be news to you, but it’s not Ning Li’s first time. She’s usually busy, so it’s actually difficult to get her up there.”

After what happened a year ago, she said she would never race again. For some reason, she suddenly decided to join the race this time around.

If not for her surprising decision, Ji Shu would not have driven his bike all the way to the school just to pick her up.

Cheng Xiyue’s face twitched helplessly.

Ji Shu made it sound like the girl was a pro in racing.

She came from a bitter background, so how would she have gotten herself involved in such a dangerous act?

“Little Ning Li, are you sure you like doing this?”

Ning Li explained, “I used to work in an auto repair shop. The owner liked to race, so I followed him and picked up an interest in it as well. I’ve done it a few times now.”

Cheng Xiyue was rendered speechless.

He did not know whether he should sympathize with her for coming out to work at such a young age to support her family or be surprised that she was quite talented in this.

Ji Shu got excited about the topic. “The funny thing is, we met each other when I sent my bike for maintenance at her place back there—”

Honk!

Before he could finish, the car took a sharp turn and loud honks entered their ears.

Bright headlights welcomed them and almost blinded their eyes for a moment.