40-42

Chapter 40: Where Did He Touch You

Gu Tinglan handed Lu Huaiyu a cigarette.

Lu Huaiyu held the cigarette between his long and slender fingers before he turned around and leaned against the railing. Lu Huaiyu drew his hand closer, and just as he was about to light the cigarette, he saw Ning Li sitting on the corner of the couch, enjoying a glass of juice.

He paused for a while and his fingertips brushed the lighter but it did not ignite.

Gu Tinglan followed his eyes.

A picture was worth a thousand words.

Back then, Gu Tinglan was standing behind the crowd and did not go forward to see what was happening on the dance floor. All he caught was a glimpse of a fresh face.

Yet now, he could clearly see Ning Li’s face.

It was no wonder Lu Huaiyu hid Ning Li as if she was something precious.

Upon noticing that someone was looking at her, Ning Li turned her head and glanced in the direction of the balcony.

Ning Li was shocked to see the man who was standing next to Lu Huaiyu.

Gu Tinglan?

He was at the banquet as well?

In Ning Li’s past life, the first time she met Gu Tinglan was not so soon. At that time, his relationship with Lu Huaiyu was already great.

Seeing that he was in Yunzhou this early on, she assumed it must be because of Lu Huaiyu.

Gu Tinglan blinked in surprise.

Then, Lu Huaiyu asked him all of a sudden, “Do you know her?”

When Gu Tinglan heard Lu Huaiyu’s indifferent tone, he answered with a laugh, “I’ll know her if you introduce her to me.”

However, Lu Huaiyu did not move a muscle, signaling that he clearly did not want to.

Gu Tinglan did not mind that as well. “Oh yeah, I heard that Miss Ning was from Lincheng? She must be very familiar with Lincheng, I suppose.”

He was planning to visit Lincheng, so there might be something Gu Tinglan could ask Ning Li.

Although Lu Huaiyu did not know what Gu Tinglan was going to do in Lincheng, he assumed it was personal. Hence, he questioned idly, “With Gu family’s power, do you need to ask for someone’s help if you want to investigate something?”

Gu Tinglan just smiled at him.

Lu Huaiyu was really protective of Ning Li.

...

At a corner of the lobby.

Su Yuan was chit-chatting with a few of her friends.

“Madam Ye, you’re really humble. Your second daughter is amazing, but I never thought that your eldest daughter is that outstanding as well! Why didn’t you tell us anything?”

“Yeah, you must have put a lot of effort in Ning Li all these years.”

While the ladies were joking around, they secretly exchanged thoughtful glances.

Before this, none of Yunzhou’s prominent families knew about Ning Li’s existence, which showed how badly Su Yuan wanted to hide her failed marriage.

If it were not because Ning Li had no one to take care of, Su Yuan would not have wanted to see this daughter of hers again.

How outstanding Ning Li was had nothing to do with Su Yuan.