12. Kicking and Screaming

Purple Rain - Prince

4 months later

"I'm so glad the morning sickness is over." Evelyn said, as she walked into the kitchen grabbing orange juice from the fridge. I chuckled, shoving a spoonful cereal in my mouth.

"Are you nervous?" I asked, looking up from my phone to meet her eyes.

"No, I'm excited!" She said as she sat next to me. "Are you?"

"I was a little at first, but now I just want to know." I said grinning, we were hopefully finding out the baby's gender today.

"I've started showing." She said, bouncing her knee.

"Yeah?" I said, meeting her tired eyes.

"Yeah." She said as I placed my hand on her knee and her eyes stared at my hand. I quickly moved it, realizing what I had done.

"I knew my body was gonna change, but now that it's actually happening I'm kinda nervous." She confessed, like she'd been holding that in for a while.

"I think it's okay to be nervous about it."

"Really?"

"Yeah, but I'm a guy, so what do I know." I say as she giggled.

A sound I'd grown somewhat fond of.

"Hurry up and finish, we have to go."

"Babe, if you wanted me to finish, all you had to do was get on your knees." I say, a smug grin forming on my face.

"Ha, you wish you were getting that luxury." She said as she stood up.

Oh, how I very much did wish. I wished a lot of things, very dirty things.

"Let's go." She said as she snapped her fingers and I set my bowl on the counter. I'll clean it up later.

"Okay, okay I'm coming, chill out mama." I said as her head whipped around, her eyes narrowing, as I threw my hands up in defense.

The drive there was now normal for us. I'd make some sex joke, she'd shut it down, it was a never ending cycle. Why am I even trying anymore? I'll tell you why, sex jokes are just who I am.

"Did you know that our baby is the size of a pomegranate?"

"Really?" I asked, "Crazy what six months can do."

"Only three more to go." She said grinning at her phone.

Once we got there, I parked, she checked in and we waited to be called back there. It was routine at this point.

Evelyn stared at her phone while sitting in the edge of the exam table, her legs hanging off of the edge as she lightly swung them like a little kid. I stared at the stupid diagram again, as I did every time we were in here, physically not being able to wrap my head around it all, even after six months.