24. Love is More Than A Four Letter Word

I Won't Give Up - Jason Mraz

2 months later...

I leaned forward in the chair, grabbing ahold of Evelyn's hand. "You're doing amazing."

I'd prepared for this moment for 9 months. I'd prepared for no sleep the minute her water broke, no sex for weeks, lots of tears from everyone. I'd prepared to be stuck in a hospital room, anxiously waiting for the arrival of my son. I'd prepared for my hand to feel like it's breaking from how hard Evelyn would be squeezing it during her natural labor. What I had not prepared for? For, how I felt like there was nothing I could do while my wife was stuck dilated at 4 centimeters for 8 hours. I was not prepared for how helpless I'd felt while she had terrible contractions. And, I had not prepared for the fact that Evelyn was probably going to have to do an emergency C-section if she didn't progress within the next 30 minutes like she needed to.

Her tired eyes met mine, neither of us had slept at all in the last 11 hours. First, we were excited and anxious for the arrival of our baby. Now, you can see the worry flashing in both of our eyes.

A light knock on the door pulls our eyes away from each other. "Come in." Evelyn says, her voice hoarse. The door opens and in comes Gracie and Aiden. "Hey." I say quietly as Aiden shuts the door carefully.

"Still nothing?" Gracie whispers, sitting on the edge of the hospital bed.

"Nope. They're discussing an emergency C-section." Evelyn says, sounding drained and defeated. "When did you guys get here?"

"I'm sorry hun." Gracie gives her a warm smile, patting her leg. "Got in town about an hour ago, we just got to the hospital a couple of minutes ago. The children were hangry."

"Almost everyone is outside. We all kind of got here at once it seems." Aiden says, leaning his arm against the railing on the side of the bed.

I give them a small smile, "They were here all night last night. Glad, they at least went home for a bit." I say rubbing the side of my face.

"Well, neither of your moms have left." Aiden says as Evelyn and I's gaze shoots to him.

"Oh my god. They're insane." Evelyn's eyes slightly widen.

"They just want to be here." Gracie says, a sympathetic look on her face. "Amelia wants me to tell you, that nobody gets to hold the baby before her." Gracie says as I softly chuckle. "I tried to tell her that you guys got to hold him first, and she cried."

"Tell her that we already named the puppy, Mia, after her, so she can't be mad at us for not getting to hold the baby first." I say as Aiden lets out a soft chuckle.

"Will do." Gracie leans over, kissing me on the cheek before hugging Evelyn, "You're doing great Mama. I know it sucks but, savor the little bit of time you have left of being pregnant, trust me when I say there will always be a part of you that misses it." She says softly as Evelyn slowly nods, before Aiden squeezes her hand, "You got this." He says before looking at me.