41. Precious Moments Ruined

You'll Be In My Heart - Brent Morgan

"Whatcha doing Bub?" I hear Evelyn ask from the kitchen

I step onto the landing, opening the gate to the kitchen and closing it behind me. Evelyn looks over at me, smiling as she makes breakfast. Asher is on the floor, crawling after some ball toy that's rolling around, in his little tan footless one-piece sleeper.

I walk over, lifting him up off the ground and up in the air right above my head. He places a kiss on my lips, which consists of his mouth being partly open and getting a little slobber on me, but hey, if that's how the kid kisses for now. Then, I'll take it.

I rest him on my forearm, his legs going on either side of my torso, and I walk over to Evelyn making French toast, wrapping my arm around her waist. I kiss her on the cheek and she smiles, switching her weight from one leg into the other. "Good Morning." She says, looking up at me and standing on her tippy toes to peck my lips.

"Morning baby." I say, resting my hip against the edge of the counter.

"Sleep okay?" She asks, cracking open an egg.

"Slept great. I was exhausted. You?" I respond and she nods her head.

"Yeah. Even Asher slept till 8 this morning instead of 6."

"That's good. You could've woke me up." I say as Asher reaches for a gel teething toy that was on the counter.

"You needed the sleep more than me."

"I knew I married you for a reason." I reach over, grabbing the light blue, gel teething toy before handing it to him and he holds it up in front of my face. "You got a toy?" I ask, switching into baby voice mode. He laughs, throwing his head back and making me grin. Evelyn looks over at us, a wide smile spread across her face.

"How much longer?" I ask, nodding my head towards the food.

She shrugs her shoulders, "15-ish minutes."

I nod, pushing off of the counter with Asher in my arms, "We're going to go play then."

"Okay." I hear Evelyn say from behind me as I walk up the stairs to Asher's room.

I set Asher down in front of the busy board that recently got attached to the wall. My mom bought it as a Christmas present for when he was old enough, so the minute he started actually playing with toys we went ahead and put it up.

He grabs ahold of one of the objects and pulls himself up into a standing position, wobbling a bit. I place my hand on his back for support and he starts moving everything around, clapping and cheering after every little movement. I wasn't complaining though, I could listen to him laugh all day long.

I look towards the door to see Evelyn leaning against the frame, smiling over at us. Asher looks up, pointing to her. "Ma ma." He says and we both gasp.