47. Sick Days

"Da!" Asher says as I walk towards his crib

"Da!" Asher says as I walk towards his crib. It was still dark outside, considering it was barely five in the morning. He stood up in his crib, holding onto the railing. His dark, slightly curly, hair was wild, sticking up in all different directions. I lifted him out of the crib as he rubbed his eyes, his lion lovey in his right hand. Resting him on my arm he laid his head on my shoulder, he let out a yawn. He felt extremely warm, so I made my way downstairs, quietly. He started to fuss again and I rubbed his back, grabbing the thermometer from one of the kitchen drawers.

It beeped and I look down to see he was running a fever of 102.1 degrees. I lay him down on the counter, unzipping his sleeper before sliding his arms and legs out of it, leaving him in just his diaper. I gave him some Children's Tylenol before cradling him in my arms and heading up the stairs.

"Let's go snuggle with Mama." I whisper, kissing the top of his head as he looks up at me, his eyelids falling heavy.

I walk back into Evelyn and I's room, to see her, thankfully, still peacefully sleeping. I climb back into our bed, laying Asher down beside me as I lay on my side, still cradling him. He lays on his side facing me, his pacifier in his mouth.

He sits up and pulls his pacifier out of his mouth, before leaning down and kissing me on the lips. I pat his back as I smile. "Hi Bubba." I whisper and he lays his head back on my bicep, closing his eyes. I look down at him as he starts to fall asleep in my arms, one of his little hands rested on my bare chest as his other held onto the lovey.

Once I knew he was asleep, I felt myself becoming tired again. Letting myself fall asleep, my eyes became heavy before everything went dark and I drifted off to sleep for a couple more hours.

"Greyson.." I felt Evelyn gently shake my shoulder as I slowly woke up, keeping my eyes shut.

"Hmm?" I all but grunted and she chuckles.

"When did Asher get in here?" She whispers as I felt Asher partly covering my face.

I huff before responding, "Earlier this morning?"

"Why?" She whispers.

"He has a fever. Now, let us sleep, and go to work."

"Did you give him medicine?"

"Yes, Mom."

"Okay." I feel the bed dip slightly before I feel her warm lips on my cheek, and just as quick as they got there, they're gone and she's climbing out of the bed.

The sun was now shining brightly in the room unlike earlier. Asher's leg was thrown over my neck and his chest was against my nose. My eyes stayed shut as I took in his baby scent, wanting nothing more than to go back to sleep, I let myself.

✳︎

The sound of Asher crying woke me up. I tried to open my eyes but he was almost all the way on top of my face. Yet, I didn't mind the fact that he was suffocating me. I wrap my hands around his torso, gently lifting him off my face as I open my eyes, laying him back on the mattress, next to me. Rolling over, I pick up my phone from the nightstand beside me, checking the time.