33. Mother Pucker

How to Save A Life - The Fray

Walking out of the locker rooms and towards the ice, I see Chris sitting on the bench with Asher on his lap

Walking out of the locker rooms and towards the ice, I see Chris sitting on the bench with Asher on his lap. His big blue eyes light up when they see me as I reach my hands out towards him and Chris turns his head towards me. "Shit, you scared me a little there." He says before I scoop Asher up in my arms.

"Sorry." I say, a guilty smile on my face as I walk towards to open door that's connected to the bench wall. Looking to my right I see Ev already leaning her back against the glass, a thing we've done since the first game of the season. Stepping onto the ice I slowly skate towards her with Asher rested on my arm. She's got the jersey I got her on, with a Mavericks baseball cap turned backwards, her hands moving as she talks to one of the girls.

I lean my back against the glass as Asher reaches out and puts his tiny hand on the glass, before quickly moving it, most likely because it's cold. Evelyn's head turns as her green eyes meet mine and she smiles up at me before waving at Asher. She reaches over to the seat and grabs something before holding up Asher's little soundproof headphones. I hold my index finger up and nod towards the bench before skating over towards it. After a couple of minutes she comes walking towards the railing that is above the hallway towards the locker room, where fans stand to say 'hi'. She reaches down, handing me the headphones.

"Good luck." She smiles down at me.

"Thanks baby." I say before we both walk away.

Somehow I talked Coach into letting Asher sit on the bench with the team during tonights game. He probably only agreed since it was against St.Louis, which meant it was an easy game.

"Did you see the shit Sampson pulled during their game against Anaheim the other night?" Evan asked as I walked up.

"Yeah, that mothefu- pucker, really thought he could get away with that?" I say.

"Mother Pucker?" Chris asks, leaning his elbows on his knees.

"He's getting to the point where he's trying to repeat what we say, obviously he can't form words yet, but we're trying to be careful so his first word isn't fuck or some shit." I say shrugging my shoulders.

"As you literally drop the F-bomb." Evan says, taking a sip of his water.

"I said we were trying, but I didn't say we were trying hard." I say as the guys chuckle.

"Alright then, puckers, let's get this show on the road." Chris says standing up.

✳︎

Jumping over the board, I sat down on the bench next to Jake, who hands me a water bottle as he bounces Asher on his leg, intensely watching the game.

Asher reaches his arms out as I take him and set him on my lap. "How's he doing?" I ask as Jake looks over at me.