30. Christmas Eve-Eve

State of Grace - Taylor Swift

I closed the trunk of the SUV rental before hopping in the driver seat, the heat already on full blast

I closed the trunk of the SUV rental before hopping in the driver seat, the heat already on full blast. "God, I missed snow." I say, looking out the window as I buckle my seat belt.

Evelyn chuckles beside me, looking down at her phone. "It's too cold." She says as I look at her like she's crazy.

"Babe, have you forgotten I spend most of my time on ice, just for fun." I say as she giggles, locking her phone and setting it in the cup holder.

"Have you forgotten that I grew up in Miami?" She says before looking back at Asher who was playing with the toys on the activity bar that was attached to his carseat.

"Yeah, but you grew up in a rink at least." I say, pulling out of the airport parking lot.

"Not quite the same as Michigan weather." She says as I nod my head, "True."

It was crazy to think it was already two days before Christmas. People aren't kidding when they say your kids grow up fast.

These past four months have gone by in a blur, a blissful blur, but a blur nonetheless. He's gotten so big already. It feels like yesterday he was wrapping his tiny hand around my finger for the first time. Now, he can bear his weight on his legs when you hold him upright, he can roll over onto his stomach from his back, he can reach for things, he can recognize Evelyn and I's voices, and so many other things.

It's insane.

He blabbers some gibberish, a little squeal coming from his mouth as he rattles a toy. I slip off my black coat, revealing my light brown, waffle-knit sweater.

Evelyn smiles, glancing back at him as I place my hand on her thigh. "I can't believe how big he's gotten." She says, turning back around.

"It's crazy." I say, my hand moving to the bottom of the steering wheel.

The hour drive goes pretty quickly. Listening to Asher's cute gibberish and coos mixed with Evelyn's terrible singing to Christmas music makes the time go by.

"Baby, I love you, I really do. But, you can't sing for shit." I say laughing as she swats my chest.

"Singing in the car isn't supposed to be good. Also, like you could do better." She says, an eyebrow raised.

I pull into the long narrow driveway, covered by pine trees that are covered in snow. Evelyn leans forward, looking up through the windshield. "Oh my gosh, it's beautiful." Her mouth gapes open.

I chuckle, making my way down the driveway before the house comes into view.

"Holy fuck." She says as her eyes widen, a huge smile on her face.

The house is a pretty big cabin, not quite a mansion, but still big. The outside covered in Christmas lights. Mom always likes to go full Griswold for Christmas.