36. Powdered Sugar

Trigger Warning: small mention of rape and murder... (nothing that has to do with our main characters)

Growing Up - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis (feat. Ed Sheeran)

The doorbell chimed as I walk through the door of the bakery with Asher in my arms

The doorbell chimed as I walk through the door of the bakery with Asher in my arms. Wrenley, or Wren for short, the sixteen year old girl that worked the front desk looked up from whatever she was doing, instantly smiling when she saw Asher. I walk behind the counter as she greets me and reaches her arms out for Asher, who happily complies. "You got him for a sec?" I ask as she nods.

"Of course."

I walk through the back door into the kitchen to see Evelyn kneading some type of dough. She looks up, smiling at me when her eyes meet mine. Her brown curly hair was in a messy bun with flyaways all over the place, her sleeves were rolled up, and she had some type of powder on her cheek. Her apron had, what I'm guessing was flour on it and she had slipped her shoes off. "Hi!" She says as I walk around the large counter top, wrapping my arms around her waist from behind, kissing her cheek.

"Hey baby."

"How was practice?" She asks, starting to roll out the dough.

"Rough." I say, resting my chin on her shoulder even though it was moving with her arm.

She chuckles. "Did you get those cupcakes done?" I ask as she nods.

"There's some extra over there if you want one." She says nodding her head towards the counter along the wall. "Where's Asher?"

"Wren's got him."

"Ah. He loves her." She says, stopping what she was doing to pop her knuckles.

"I know, it's cute. And, I think she loves him just as much."

"It'll be a sad day when she leaves." She says, slightly frowning.

The door swings open and Wren peaks her head through the door with Asher on her hip, "He can sit up by himself now, right?" She asks as we both nod.

"Yeah, just keep an eye on him." I say before she nods and walks away, the swinging door swings back and forth a couple of times before it stops in its place.

"What do you want for dinner?" I ask, returning my chin back to her shoulder.

"I don't care, what sounds good?"

I think for a minute before responding, "Burgers?"

"That's fine. Are you gonna make them or go to King's?" She asks referring to the literal best burgers in town.

"The fact that you still have to ask." I say, softly chuckling before placing a kiss on her shoulder. "Now, what's on your cheek?"

She shrugs her shoulders, "Probably flour." I decide to just taste test it myself, licking it all off her cheek earning a gasp from her.