Chapter 4

A constant knock on my door woke me up this morning. I stretch out on my bed and open my eyes to the bright sunbeam glaring at me through the window. As the ray floods my retina, I hurriedly turn around to the opposite side to avoid it.

I try to crawl out of bed in my pajamas to open the door as the knocking continues from the person at the door.

My room is one of the most beautiful rooms in the mansion, with expensive furniture, a distinctive feature wall treatment, gliding, and a variety of other embellishments. Thus, reaching the door from my bed takes me a few seconds.

Dad is standing at the entrance when I open the door. I smile at him as he walks in, displaying my upper teeth.

Finally, it's February 20th, 2022. It's my birthday!

"Birthday boy still sleeping by this time," He breaks the silence, and I flit my eyes to the alarm clock on the nightstand. It's past ten o'clock.

Oh, no! I murmur to myself as I recall turning off the alarm before turning in for the night the previous night.

"My little boy is gradually growing into a man," Dad adds and I turn to face him.

He has always been the first person I wake up to see on my birthday when I'm with him, this year is no exception.

"Why are you growing so fast?" He continues, and I blush slightly as I chuckle.

"Come on, Dad," I say, rolling my eyes. Even though Dad thinks I will always be his baby boy, no matter what, those words are for kids, not me.

"Happy sweetest birthday, Michael," He says, and all I can do is give him a big hug while he gently pats me on the back.

Despite the fact that we quarrel and bicker, I can't help but still love him.

"Thanks, Dad," I say, gulping before pulling back from the hug, both of us looking into each other's eyes.

"There are lots of surprises waiting for you downstairs," He declares. "Go freshen up," I nod okay, and as soon as he leaves my room, I kneel next to my bed to offer a prayer.

"Lord, I thank you for life, and here's to another fresh start..." As I am speaking, my phone begins to buzz, indicating an incoming call.

I keep getting sidetracked, but I make every effort to finish my prayer.

I couldn't pick it up since it was cut off before reaching for my phone on the nightstand, but it didn't stop me from seeing several missed calls and birthday wishes.

"Who will respond to all of this chat?" I marveled.

"Well, that'll be later," I say, putting the phone back on the nightstand.

They would have been waiting for me downstairs, so I should go and meet them first. I enter the bathroom in this manner, brush my teeth, and wash my face with water.

My eyes are still puffy when I look at my reflection in the mirror. I begin pulling off my pajamas so I can quickly take a shower.

Getting downstairs may take all of my focus, and I may not return to my room for hours since time has already passed.

Whatever the case, I need to look stunning on my day.

I take a shower, moisturize my skin, and then look through my closet to decide what to wear. I eventually settle on crazy jeans, vintage t-shirts, and sneakers.

I then sprayed my body with my Chanel Bleu De Chanel Eau de Parfum Cologne and wore my silver necklace, watch, and bracelet.

I finally leave my room after catching a glimpse of myself in the mirror. Trust me, I'm always that handsome guy every lady is attracted to.

I can see Jeff and Tracy with Dad as I rush downstairs. All of our housekeepers are present, including Scoff.

As soon as they notice that I have joined them, they begin singing "He is a jolly good fellow..."

While they wish me one by one, except for Dad, I continue to smile and glance about.

On the table are two pieces of champagne and a sizable cake with a letter on behalf of the housekeepers. I turn to the north side and notice some present boxes on the floor.

Some of them must have been shipped from abroad by Mum and Olivia, I'm sure of it.

They are already keeping me entertained with this even though my party is still 10 hours away.

"Thank you guys," I say with a smile. "I do appreciate these," I add and my eyes unexpectedly catch sight of a keyless fob next to the champagne on the table.

This must be the fob for my new whip.

I take the fob and rush outside saying, "Guys, I need to check something outside."

This is the most wonderful gift I've ever received.

When I step outside, I notice they have also followed me.

I have no notion what kind of whip it is till I see a grey brand new Toyota Camry 2021 parked on the grass tiles in front of the mansion. As I begin to approach it, my mouth hangs open in shock.

The driver's door is already unlocked when I grab the handle since the system has detected the remote in my hand.

As I sit in the driver's seat and take in the designs, everything seems brand-new and hip.

"Guy! We have to race," A familiar voice says. Scott is the one who comes to meet me.

While the others are on the porch watching us, I grin as I exit the car.

Scott is a short, dark man who barely reaches my shoulder.

"Yeah, dude," I say in agreement, and he nods while grinning.

I holler to them from the porch, "You guys should enjoy the lovely cake and wines. We'll be right back,"

"Be careful, guys," Dad cautions.

"Sure," I answer. "Take all of those gifts to my room, Maria, and I'll check them later." I make a request to Maria, the only housekeeper I trust and feel comfortable with.

"Alright," She responds as Scott and I get into the car and the security guard begins to open the gate.

I make a U-turn and head toward the school as I leave the compound. Both my college of studies and our residence are located in Ikoyi, Lagos.

When I was accepted to study at Imperial University, that was one of the reasons I was not provided an apartment. But now I yearn to get my own apartment while my father pays for it.

Scott whines excitedly, "Enjoyment in this last semester."

I admit in a Pidgin accent, "I swear."

He responds, looking at his phone, "My WhatsApp status is full of your pictures. You should aim to become famous because everyone will adore you."

"That makes me think of those calls and messages," I say. "Can you help me reply to some?" I continue, and before he can respond, I have unlocked and given him my phone while he reacts by rolling his eyes.

"Where do I begin?" He inquires as he peruses my Whatsapp texts.

"My mom," I reply. "Just let her know in the text message that I value her gift."

"Even when you don't know what is inside," Scott responds and we both start laughing as I have my attention on the road.

"Tell her I love her and I'll call her later," I say. "The same with Olivia,"

"Okay," He responds. "90 percent of those who sent you messages are ladies," He adds and I grin a little as I cast a glance at him.

"Lest I forget, how do you deal with Tracy?" I sighed in response to his question.

"I don't want to talk about her," I respond. "It's my day."

"Sure," He acknowledges.