Chapter 72

"I don't know," She replies. "I only got it because I missed my period,"

"Then why don't you try it before you leave?"

We both meet eyes and she says, "That's because I'm scared,"

"This should only be between you and me," She continues and I avert my gaze with a sneer.

"Open the door, Sweetie". After a knock, Mom's words drew our attention. "We are running out of time."

"Please!" Olivia urged me with her beseeching gaze and I nod okay.

"My lips are sealed," I assured her.

"Thanks," She replies. "Help me with the door,"

I veer to the door to open it, wondering if my sister is pregnant or not.

Mom enters and says, "You are here."

"Of course, Mom," I reply. "I'll have to give you a ride to the airport,"

"Oh! You don't need to be concerned about that," Mom responds and I twitch my brows. "Some guy will take us to the airport,"

"Why would you hire some guy when I'm here?" I shiver with perplexity.

"It's her lover's driver who is giving us a ride." Olivia joins us and clarifies. "He needs to give the car back,"

"Oh!" I respond unexpectedly. "So that whip belongs to your lover?" I add, turning to face Mom.

"Yes, dear," She responds.

"No wonder," was all I could manage to say, despite my best efforts to avoid saying anything that may cast doubt on her romantic relationships. I don't know much about her specific partner, but as long as she is content, I shouldn't worry.

"Are you sure you don't want to come with us?" Mom asks while grabbing my hands.

"Sure Ma, besides, I haven't finished my project." I respond "I'm required to defend it.

"That's right. I overlooked," She admits. "Please, look after yourself," She adds and I nod in agreement.

"And no more drinking," Olivia sternly adds while I roll my eyes.

Mom, who appears anxious replies, "That's important, you need to reassure us."

This demonstrates how much they care about me.

"I assure you guys, trust me," I respond directly and they both smile.

I find it hard to believe they are going.

Right now, it seems like we three can carry on living here.

"Come here, you two," I call out and then I tightly embrace them while holding them close in my arms.

I continue to hold on to the hug and say, "I will miss you guys so much."

★★★

Following Mom and Olivia's departure to the airport, I went to see my father in prison because I was lonely and bored at the hotel and had nothing to do there.

He was also imprisoned in Ikoyi Prison, and I visited him on my motorbike.

I went to meet the warders when I got there and was allowed to see him. When one of the warders went out to call him, I waited at the counter.

The warder came back a little while later and asked me to go see my father in the waiting area.

Before heading to the waiting area, I muttered "thanks" to the man.

When I finally arrived, I looked around and saw other inmates enjoying themselves with their visitors.

When I see my father, who is plainly waiting for me at the table with his hands clasped and shaking in his jail uniform, my heart breaks.