Chapter 7

Some pitch buzzing in my ears keeps disrupting my sleep and while I adjust over on the bed to sleep on my left side, I feel my knees touching someone else.

This diverts me to open my dizzy eyes as I should be the only one in my room. Jeffrey who is in a sound sleep, snoring as he exhales is the one lying next to me.

I look around to realize I'm in his room, his house apparently, and I start to question myself what could have happened last night for me not to get back home?

I scrunch my face in pain as my headaches worsen the moment I try to sit up, feeling weak.

Reaching for my phone which keeps buzzing on the nightstand, lots of calls, especially from mom. I have missed Olivia and dad's also.

My Whatsapp messages keep popping in so I decide to check Scott's message first.

I view the video he sent to me, it is about me requesting and taking some tequila shots in anger and also causing a scene by throwing things and scattering things at the bar which catches everyone's attention.

Gosh! I fucked up last night. I admit, rubbing down my face with my hand.

But people not minding their business is what I do not get and the worse are those bloggers who have composed different headlines which involve Chief. I can't even read it.

"Hey, guy," I wake Jeffrey, tickling him roughly.

"Have you seen this?" I add, frowning my face while he stretches his hands as he sits up, staring at my phone.

"Yeah," He answers yawning. "I can't believe I slept off again," He adds, glancing at the wall clock.

"But this is not my first time, probably not the last being drunk. Why do I act this way," I rationalize.

"You must be upset about something," He explains. "Chief is expecting us, we should freshen up and get going," He adds.

This makes me think about how I'm going to return mom's call.

She and Olivia would have seen the video for calling me. I need to make up some lies to them but I have to see dad first the way Jeffrey urges.

He has even crawled out of the bed and make his way to the bathroom.

"Can I get some painkillers?" I ask to ease my headaches at least.

"Check the drawer," He replies from the bathroom while I veer to the nightstand and open the first drawer.

Shockingly, I encounter a pistol and some white powder stuff in the drawer.

I take one of the stuff and sniff it from its plastic packet. Jeez!

"Jeff, you do drugs?" I shout in concern.

"What the fuck are you doing?" He shouts back and rushes out of the bathroom to the main room with his toothbrush stuck in his mouth.

"It's not what you think," He adds and snatches the one I hold away from me.

"Then make it clear to me?" I argue, still shocked while he returns the drug and closes the drawer.

"Back off," He warns.

"You can't tell me to back off like that, I trusted you," I retort while he takes off his toothbrush. "With that handgun and those drugs, I need some explanation."

"They aren't mine okay? It's not mine," He shrugs, looking worried that I found out.

"Then who owns them?" I shrug and he sits on the chair facing me.

"Your dad," He answers and I scoff, giving him a death stare.

"Your dad is a fucking drug smuggler, I'm just his agent," He adds clearly and I sit weakly on the bed, covering my eyes with my hands as I feel so disappointed, again!

"Michael, I don't want you to see me as the dangerous guy," Jeff continues as I can't let out a single word. "I started selling them to stoners last night after one of his former agents betrayed him."

"Why would you agree to be his agent? You have no experience, what if you get caught," I say as I am more concerned about Jeff, the way I am concerned about Tracy.

"Your dad offering me the job was a tough one but I have no choice," He clarifies and I let out a sigh.

He veers to sit beside me on his bed. "Mike, Chief is not someone you think he is,"

I look into his eyes, my gaze met his and he nods yes, confirming what he says.

I only know he is into real estate, I never know he is a drug dealer.

So little do I know about him? What makes it worse is innocent people will be rooting for him to be the next governor of Lagos State, Imagine.

"Where are my car keys?" I ask as I get up, looking around the nightstand while Jeff laughs at me.

"What's funny?" I shrug, furrowing my eyebrows in anger.

"You think I was gonna drive two cars last night," He explains.

Gosh! When I have already thought of not going home this morning.

"Get dressed, I'm taking you home as an order from your dad," He adds, and my heart sinks.

He hands the painkiller over to me before going back to the bathroom. I use the tablet with a bottle of water placed on the nightstand and I start putting on my clothes.

My mind holds on to that drawer but I try hard to resist invading them. Jeff who has taken a quick shower comes back to his room to dress up while we keep mute, not talking to each other.

Some minutes later, we got out of his apartment and hop into his Mercedes Benz while he starts the car engine, racing down home.

"I know how disappointed you are," He breaks the silence, and I clear my throat.

"How I wish you knew that," I say sarcastically and he chuckles a little.

"Do you know your dad's quote?" He replies. "Money is the same whether you earn it or scam it,"

What the hell!

"If you think he is wrong, why don't you inform the cops now knowing he is into drugs?" He continues. "The government will forfeit all his assets while you and your sister continue living penniless."

His words so rough me up that I can't even disagree and argue with him.

"Let it go, Mike," He adds. "Your dad can handle himself while you should keep enjoying his wealth,"