Chapter 16

Waking up around 2;30pm after a short nap, I check for the last time to see that Karen doesn't text me back.

The Blue ticks show she had read my message but she ignores to reply to me.

This makes me wanna go to her neighborhood. The more she is drawing away from me the more I want to get to know her.

Reaching out for my phone on my nightstand, I dial one of dad's security guards. Dad had made it clear to me to always go with the security guard to wherever I haven't been in this period.

And this afternoon, I want to be that good guy who always listens to his father.

"Hey," I say the moment Chidi picks up.

"Hi, Mike,"

"Are you available?"

"Yeah, I'm at home,"

"Good, uhh, I'm going to a street in Apapa west, can you take me there?"

"Sure, I'm always at your service," He replies. "How long are you gonna stay?"

"I have no idea, any problem?"

"No, I'm just thinking we should go on your bike because of traffic on Osborne road,"

"Oh! That's okay with me. Go get ready,"

"Alright," He responds and I hang up.

I crawl out of the bed and veer to my closet to pick out a pair of my regular-fit dark blue jeans, a gray tight t-shirt, and a pair of brown crevo boots.

I also reach for my leather wristwatch and curb necklace and within a few moments, I throw them on.

Looking at my reflection in the mirror I can see my braids are already rough, it's high time for a new hairstyle. I try to make it neat by applying some oil moisturizer.

After pulling some of my stuff into my crossbody bag, I sling it across my chest,  and grab my helmet before making my way out of my room, and heading downstairs.

"Are you off to the gym," Olivia who is still in the living room asks me the moment I step in. Her eyes are fixed on me.

"No, I'm heading somewhere," I answer.

"Hmm, my kid brother always killing it," She comments on my dress, smiling.

I smile back at her and move close to give her a side hug. She gently pats my back.

I do not want to inform anyone including my closest buddy Scott about this till I return and give him the full story I know nothing about now.

Just wondering how far I will go to get Karen.

"Alright then, see you later," I say as I release her, and start walking outside.

Chidi, the security guard joins me at the park. Insisting he will ride the bike, we both get on the bike one after the other and hit the road.

******

Some few minutes after the long ride, we eventually get to Apapa west, with that we follow the map address to Karen's main street which leads us to an untared road, and here we are in front of her house.

I glance at my wrist, it's 3;35. That is, we rode for 30 minutes.

It is a straightforward way and It's entirely fun with the way Chidi was whizzing down the road. Despite the traffic, there were ways for motorbikes to pass by the vehicles.

Glad that I heed his advice, if not we would have been stuck in traffic.

I get down from the bike. Taking off my helmet, I look around and I can see old buildings which can be described as the exact opposite of the ones in Ikoyi.

The street seems so completely quiet that I wondered if anyone sees us. Just the houses facing each other with trees flourishing.

"You should hang around, I will call you when I'm done," I say to Chidi.

"No," He disagrees. "I will wait here,"

I scoff a little. This is always where the problem is whenever I go with a bodyguard, he should even say he will follow me inside.

"I'm not a kid, remember I asked you to go with me,"

"I know, this place is not safe for you,"

"I know what I'm doing, okay?"

"Fine, if you say so," He shrugs. "I should go check on my aunty at her place,"

"Sounds great!" I reply and I proceed to walk around the bungalow while he starts the engine and departs.

Now I can focus on what I'm here for.

Despite its uneven surface wall texture being out of date painted in wine, the front yard of the bungalow is beautified with hibiscus flowers and trees.

There is a gate on the left side of the bungalow that joins the wall fence of the house before theirs while the other side is free to the next house.

Not modernized but classic for me.

I open the short gate to step onto the porch and closing it back, I hear the door creak open. I quickly turn around to see...

She is not Karen, doesn't even look like her. She is fair, a bit shorter, chubby, and looks younger than Karen.

"Hi,"  I greet, stroking my hands into my jean jacket.

"Wait, Michael, Chief Anderson's son," She declares, her jaw dropping in shock.

I shrug in answer, indicating a yes while we are still looking at each other's eyes.

"Wow!" She is amazed, "So you are here to see Karen. She told me how she got fired because of you," She adds, her face hardens at me.

Not because of me. I disagree with that in my mind.

I don't think Karen told her that she slapped me.

I clear my throat, thinking of what to say.

"Exactly why I'm here," I finally manage to say.

"Let me walk you to our shop then," She replies and I furrow my eyebrows in confusion.

"It's situated in a market before our street," She explains and I nod okay, feeling relaxed.

She doesn't even introduce herself to me. She must be Karen's younger sister.

"I'm Angela," She instantly bursts out. "Her cousin,"

I startle a little to that.

"It's my pleasure Angela," I respond and she smiles.

Does she read minds? I wonder as she goes back in while I veer to lean on my elbow on the cement porch handrail.

Recalling we are heading to the market, I unzip my cross bag and bring out my baseball cap and shade to wear them.

Angela who has dressed up in a short gown returns outside and locks the front door.

We make our way out of the porch to see we are moving in the opposite direction Chidi and I passed in the first place.

I guess it's a shortcut.