Chapter 65

A few minutes later, Mom pulls into the parking lot of a hotel, and we all get out of the whip.  As everywhere is giving off light, I turn to look around. I can't believe we are staying at Lagos Continental Hotel, which is the tallest hotel in Nigeria.

This is my first visit, and I can attest that it is a stunning sight to behold. I wonder if Mom is doing this to distract us from what is going on with our father.

"Don't tell me you did this all because of..." I'm saying this as we walk in, and she cuts in.

"This is all on your father," She says. "I had no idea when he booked this for us," She adds, and I scoff loudly.

"Does he believe he can get away with this and buy us off? He is a criminal,"

"Watch your mouth, boy," Mom warns me. "Even if he must have committed a crime, he is still your father."

"How supportive of him you are, your words show," I retort ironically.

"All I'm trying to say is that, no matter where he is, even far away, your father will always look out for you two. He is well aware of his responsibilities, so stop putting words in my mouth." She interjects, and I choose to remain silent rather than argue with her.

When we arrive at the reception, we are welcomed by the receptionists, who then offer us our key cards to our rooms one by one, then we make our way to the elevator.

As we exit the elevator on the 22nd floor, Olivia begins quickly walking out on us, which causes Mom and I to exchange glances.

Her behavior should not be surprising to us because I know she is still upset and trying to process what happened out of the blue.

"Olly!" She freezes when Mom's voice reaches her, turning to face us with her arms crossed across her chest and a frown on her face.

"Dear, we have things to settle tonight," Mom says. "You guys need to listen to me,"

"There's nothing else I need to hear from you," My sister points out. "You've already admitted that you knew dark secrets about Dad and chose to keep them from us,"

"I was only trying to..." Mom tries to speak, but Olivia interrupts.

"Please, Mom," She responds. "I've had enough of what's been going on since yesterday, good night," She adds before leaving our presence.

Mom sighs deeply and looks at me, and I shrug. She should not expect me to listen to her justification.

There is nothing to justify.

"Same as my sister," I respond to the expression on her face. "Good night, "

"Mike," She calls out.

"However, it's good to have you back," That was all I could say, and I start walking toward my room.

I tap my key card on the reader to enter the room when I arrive at my door room. When I finally entered this 5-star hotel room, I was immediately immersed in an atmosphere of elegance and refinement.

The space is spotless, and every detail has been meticulously attended to.

The soothing cream color of the walls serves as a neutral background for the opulent furnishings.

A grand king-sized bed, furnished with fluffy pillows and crisp white linens, occupies the center of the room.

I make my way to one side of the room, where a cozy armchair and ottoman are positioned close to a sizable window with a breathtaking view of the skyline of the city. A writing desk with a chic leather chair and all the equipment needed for working or writing is placed nearby.