Chapter 54

Ren and I left the club yesterday after enjoying the sunset by the sea, and while I dropped her off at the hostel, I proceeded to meet Scott.

I had missed his calls so he fretted about me not showing up at his hostel to study for our final paper.

He was also shocked to find out that Ren and I had reconciled and spent some time together.

I made every effort to study at the midnight till the day break and this morning before going to the exam hall. Thanks to him who also helped me out with studying.

It is a written exam,  and after answering all the questions I could, I rise to my feet and hand my answer sheet to the examiner before heading out of the hall.

Some of my colleagues, including Scott, had submitted before me, and I ran into them outside, where they were congratulating themselves and whooping in delight.

Of course, it has been a four-year journey, and today marks the end of the chapter. This is the last time we will ever get together this way.

Some folks have already donned their signed-out printed t-shirts while I get a hearty embrace from my course assistant representative.

She adds, "Congratulations to us," and I reciprocate the embrace with a smile. As we let go of each other, I noticed "Hotter with one degree" emblazoned on her white t-shirt, which she wore with blue jeans.

Hope is never lost they say. That is what this is all about since we recently concluded our final school exams and have no idea what the results will be hereafter.

"Oh boy!" Scott comes up to me, and his voice follows.

Also, he already has a printed t-shirt on. "I did it,"

As he gets closer, I keep grinning at him, which makes me wonder why I never consider designing a sign-out t-shirt.

With just a little distance between us, he smiles, unfolding one, and holding it out for me with the words "I graduate, may I go back to bed now?"  written over the chest.

My smile broadens and turns into a giggle as I'm surprised he designed one for me. He is aware that this is normally what I would say after graduation.

"Surprise!" He says before giving it to me.

"Wow!" That is all I could say since I am so impressed by my friend.

"Man, finally." He responds and  I only react by pulling him close and giving him a bear hug.

This dude has been with me since the first day we met at the department when I borrowed a text from him. We played, laughed, argued, fought, made up, and teased each other for four years, and the best, we had each other's back no matter what.

I treasured every minute of his company, and while I'm not sure if he'll stay here in Lagos or return to his homeland in Abuja to start a new chapter, he will always be my greatest buddy.

We let ourselves out of the hug when we hear someone else clearing their throat. It's Becky.

"It's not the last day of school, guys," she says, and we both smile at her.

Her T-shirt says "To a new adventure," in bold letters.

"Come one, put this one, and let's join them in planning how we're going to organize our sign-out party," Scott mentions as he holds his girlfriend tightly, both of them beaming at me.

It's at this moment that my phone begins to ring.

I checked to see it was Michael, my boss, calling. We had been discussing the negotiations of my whip, with which I had been unsatisfied, so the fact that he has called me now maybe be a piece of good news.