Chapter 71

"What are you doing here?" I queried, frowning as I waited for him to catch up.

"I came to drop your bike," He says, getting closer to me and I sneer a little. Why am I wasting my time if that is what he came to do?

I extend my arms and say, "Let me have my key fob then,"

He gives it to me and the instant I turn around to begin leaving his presence, he grabs my hand. This freezes me.

"This is not the real reason I was here," He claims. "I'm so sorry," He continues as I catch his gaze.

"You apologize for?" I shrug in response.

"I'm sorry for betraying you," He answers. "Please find a place in your heart to forgive me,"

"You have no idea how you hurt me," I remark.

"I know,"

 "That was the last thing I expected from you, I trusted you," I acknowledge, already emotional.

"I swear, I didn't know what got into me that I fell into his trap," He says with regret. "I was carried away by the life he promised and offered me, not thinking of the consequences of betraying my best friend, and I'm deeply sorry,"

I let out a sigh. I knew my father had a way of manipulating people's thoughts, he had even tried it with me and Olivia, not to mention Mom. That was his way, but I was not expecting my buddy Scott to fall for it in betraying me.

Since it was all over, I had no choice but to forgive him.

"If this happens again..." I'm warning him when he cuts in.

"I promise it will never happen again," He assures me, and I nod alright.

He leans forward and hugs me, saying, "Thanks for giving me another chance. I've missed you,"

I roll my eyes at his final remarks.

"It's only been three days, man," I say, and he pulls back from the hug, peering into my eyes.

"Without talking to you?" He wonders, and I smile a bit.

 "Let's go in and have those talks then," I shrug humorously and we begin to enter. Before heading to my room, I strongly suggest that we stop by the hotel lounge for breakfast. The way Scott is looking around indicates that this is also his first time here.

"You like it here," I respond to the amazed expression on his face.

He replies, continuing to take in the scenery, "This place is beautiful."

"You can say that again," I retort as we enter the hotel lobby. While we make our way to a seat, other people are already there, taking it all in and unwinding.

In contrast to Scott, who orders a cup of coffee with egg and ham, I order a cup of coffee with sweet French toast.

"What have you been doing these past three days?" I inquire while we wait for our breakfasts.

"Just working on my project," He responds which reminds me that we have a project defense coming up soon. Our department's deadline is coming up next week. With Scott and Becky's assistance, I have been conducting some research on my own, I must now move forward with it as soon as possible.

"How about your girl?" As the server approaches to start serving us, I ask.

"We haven't talked," He admits, appearing uncomfortable. "She is mad at me for what I did to you," 

"Wow!" That's all I could say to him.

"Thank you," I say to the waiter, who answers, "You are welcome," before leaving our presence.