Chapter 70

I was jolted awake by a ray of sunshine that had snuck its way through the curtains, and to my surprise, a gentle knock at my door. I could hear my mom's voice calling out my name, and I responded with a muffled "Just a moment."

As I check the time, I realize it's already 10 am, and to my dismay, I had left the TV on all night. I yawn and get out of bed, still wearing my comfy pajamas.

I open the door to let my mom in, and she greets me with a warm "Good morning, son."

I reply with a contented smile, "Good morning, Mom."

As my mom starts to speak, I am momentarily distracted by the news on the TV reporting on my dad's trial.

Without thinking, I reach for the TV remote to increase the volume, hoping to catch every word of the story.

During the trial, Chief Wole Anderson was found guilty of drug trafficking by Judge Femi Lewis and was sentenced to 25 years in prison. His PA, Jefferey Okoh, was released. The chief's children testified against him and gave evidence of his confession which led to his conviction.

As the newscaster speaks, I felt my mom's gentle touch on my back, comforting me.

The conviction of Chief Wole Anderson for drug trafficking has shocked not only the people of Lagos but the entire country, especially with the upcoming Lagos governorship election on Saturday, June 18th, 2022.

As the news spread, reporters flocked to the streets to capture the reactions of the people. Some expressed their anger and disappointment, while others seemed relieved that justice had finally been served. This is a moment that would be remembered for years to come.

The news broadcaster adds and a video clip of reporters interviewing some folks is shown.

"How do you feel about the ATN Candidate, Chief Wole Anderson, who was convicted of drug trafficking?"

"No one could be sadder than those of us who have no idea who he is and were supporting him. Hearing the news is heartbreaking for me because he has been my top candidate to win the election thus far. However, I was also relieved that his kids had exposed him before it was too late," A man commented.

"Well, he's not my favorite candidate for the upcoming election, but it still surprises me because nobody expected that from him," Another individual disclosed.

"Many thanks to his children for saving us from having a drug dealer as our governor."

"Hmm, none of them are the saints they claim to be. May God expose them all. God bless Nigeria," A woman added.

I sigh and switch off the TV.

"Hey, are you all right?" As I move to sit on my bed, Mom asks.

"Of course, Mom. I'm okay," I reply, shrugging. "I couldn't just stand there and be watching the news when I already knew who my father is,"  I add and she swerves to sit next to me.

"This is what I was afraid of and what I've been trying to avoid," She says and I roll my eyes.

"It doesn't justify the fact that you chose not to do anything," I reply bluntly. "He's a criminal," 

"Of course, I know that,"

"Why are you here, then?" I ask.

"Your sister and I will be leaving the country tomorrow morning, so I was wondering if you would like to come with us," She says and I clear my throat, thinking about what she said.