Chapter 35

Getting to our University college hospital, Becky leads the way to the ward where Scott is.

A lot of people pass us by, including doctors and nurses who are identified by their scrubs with stethoscopes hanging around their necks and also cleaners in their uniforms while some students sit on the couch, probably waiting to see the doctor.

I can't remember the last time I visited here and now I'm back to encounter the smell of antiseptic.

We eventually enter a ward to see Scott lying on his sick bed while he is on a drip.

I stay behind with my hands folded across my chest as Becky moves close to him asking about his well-being.

"Feeling much better," I hear Scott answer. I scoff a little in disbelief as I just feel like a stranger.

"That's great," Becky replies. "I will be right back," She adds and she starts leaving. As I watch her walk past me, I also move close to this big head.

I sit beside him on the bed and I notice him frowning his face, not in any way looking at me. I scoff, loudly.

"Get well soon, so that I can kick your ass for not telling me this," I say teasingly and he scoffs.

"A real friend would know I fell ill without telling him," He replies sarcastically. I can't believe he is blaming me.

"How am I supposed to know," I argue, raising my voice. "We chatted last night and you couldn't even tell me,"

"The only reason you chatted with me was that you wanted to ask the time we are having lectures today,"

"And you replied,"

"Why wouldn't I? I already know how selfish you are," He says harshly, and I shake my head in disbelief.

Why would he be upset with me? Clearly, he is holding grudges against me.

"What have I done?" I ask directly and he manages to sit up.

"Mike, we spent last week together and you didn't notice I had a fever, you didn't even notice how many times I visited the toilet on Friday all in the name of diarrhea. All you did after studying was call or chat with Karen while you refuse to admit that you fell for her,"

"I do not fall for Karen," I make that clear to him, clenching my teeth."Why would you bring her to our conversation?" I add furiously.

"Because you are so selfish, you only think about yourself," He answers, looking upset and I try to keep mute for him to say all he has to say to me.

"All you do is just ask me when or if we have any lecture, you think you do not fall for her yet you chose your stupid game over me. The only reason you spent most of last week with me was because of our tests, so you will pass them if you study with me. I asked you to come over to my dorm after our last test on Saturday, what did you say? It wasn't about the fucking PS 5, I wasn't feeling well. I just tried hard to write that test and I needed you the most to stay with me, knowing I fucking hate hospital, what did you do?"

At this point, I can feel a tear rolling down my cheek. I look up into his eyes to see tears also welling up in his eyes.

"Becky came over that evening and forced me to come here, seeing how I was. I was so surprised and shocked that you didn't notice anything throughout the week. My real friend would notice even if he doesn't know exactly what is wrong with me, at least he would ask. I can now see that this friendship is one-sided and I'm always the victim,"

My heart sinks and I let out a deep sigh.

"I'm so sorry," That is what comes out of my mouth but I say it sincerely while he sniffs to hold his tears back.

"Just leave," He replies and gently lays on the bed, turning his back to me.

"I...I" I begin to stutter, and he interrupts me. Gosh! I don't even know what else to say.

"I said you should leave," He lets out. All I do is get up and watch him for some seconds, wiping my tears with my thumb before walking out of the ward.

I feel so disturbed, after hearing all that from him. He is right, I wasn't there when he needed me the most.

I keep walking wearily to my car, thinking about how I couldn't find out he was sick. 

I knew if he told me he wasn't feeling well that day, I wouldn't hesitate to follow him to his hostel but It shouldn't be until he told me. I was supposed to notice he was going through something.

I don't even know why I take this game so seriously that I neglected my best friend.

To hell with the game! I'm done with Karen. I want myself back, a guy who doesn't fall in love, who doesn't believe in true love.

I hop into the car and start the car engine, intending to spend the rest of today at the gym studio.

***
I start to undress the moment I park my car in front of the studio. I do not even care if anyone is watching me as my front door glass is left winded down. I reach for my active wear in the back seat which includes my sweat-resistant t-shirt, Nike shorts, a pair of socks, and training shoes.

I wear my Nike bandana on my head before hopping out of the car and starting to make my way inside. As usual, I shake hands with the folks who I meet on the way as they are done with their workout.

I enter the studio to first see my boss chatting with Jefferey.

I am surprised to see Jeff here, he finally breaks the spell of not coming to the gym anymore with the excuse of being always occupied.

"Hey," I greet them in my low voice and this makes them look at me as they remain silent. It is their turn to be shocked to see me in the studio by this time.

"Hey, dude," My boss replies, his face still full of surprises and he gives me a side hug while I shake hands with Jeff.

"Is everything okay?" He adds, both trying to read my face.

"Of course, I'm good," I say even though I'm not okay deep inside me.

"I thought you always have full-day classes every Monday," Jeff interferes, furrowing his brows in confusion.

Michael, my boss is the tallest among us, followed by Jeff but I can boldly say I am more muscular than Jeff.

"Sure, I just don't feel like attending the rest,"

"Are you sure it's not about the girl who came with you that day?"

"What girl?" I play along.

"How many girls have you brought here?" Michael rolls his eyes.

"You mean Karen," Jeff reacts.

"I do not know her name," Michael answers Jeff. "But I could see the chemistry between them,"

I groan in annoyance. Why does everyone around me keep telling me about Karen? This is becoming embarrassing for me.

"She must be the one," Jeff retorts. "But he keeps denying there is nothing between them,"

"And that is the truth man!" I say in concern. He chuckles and gently holds my shoulder.

"Guy! Love is a beautiful thing. You should open yourself to it," Jeff lectures.

"Exactly!" Michael agrees with him and I chuckle a little as I look into Jeff's eyes

"I see what you are trying to do Jeff," I say, feeling he was saying all that for me to approve of him and Olivia.

"I'm okay," I add, patting their shoulders as I walk past in between them, heading to the weight machine.