Chapter 60

As we get closer to them, one of the officers asks, "Are you Jeffery Okoh?"

"Yeah, what's going on?" Jeff responds.

"From NDLEA, Lagos," The man retorts, displaying his identification card to us.

"A suitcase containing cocaine has been found in your office, you are under arrest,"

"What!" I scream, turning to look at Jeff, who seems so at ease.

 "Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law," The officer warns Jeff before putting handcuffs on him.

"Are you not going to do anything?" I snort at him.

"Shhh!" He gets me to stop talking.

"No worries," He adds as he moves away from my presence.

Jeff is in my line of sight as their SUV is being driven away from the mansion.

"Hey, kiddo, are you okay?" Olivia's voice comes from behind me, her arms encircling my shoulder.

"What the hell just happened?" I question.

She responds, moving closer to me as she lets go of her hold on me and folds her arms across her chest. "You have seen what happened, no one to trust," 

By the way, she appears upset.

"How did it happen?"

"We've been having some issues lately, and I think he's hiding something from me. I, therefore, sneaked into his office when he went to grant you bail and discovered the suitcase. I had to tell Dad, and the only thing we could do to protect and avoid implicating our father was to call the police,"

I mutter to myself, "Jeez!"

"So you and Jeff are secretly back together?" I marvel.

"That leads me to question whether this is the reason you don't want me to date him". She says, frowning at me while I gulp and look at my fingers in regret.

She scoffs in irritation at my reaction.

"I'm disappointed because I didn't expect you to keep this from Dad and me."

"What about Dad?" I argue vehemently as I am worried about Jeff.

"You mean Dad is aware of this as well?" She responds to me with a query. I examine her eyes to determine how startled she is. I can't believe I'm so close to wanting to tell her the truth that she would be devastated.

I finally manage to say, "I mean, he also wasn't cool with you guys in a relationship."

"The only reason Dad didn't approve of us was our family backgrounds," She says.

 "Where is he?" I inquire.

 "He is in the study, disheartened,"  She answers and I nod in agreement, playing along, and I start to go in.

My father is the one that I should be speaking with right now.

"Mike," Olivia's voice suddenly freezes me. "I don't know if I did the right thing," She continues, and I can tell she's just trying to sound tough.

I turn around to see tears welling up in her eyes.

She sobs, "I'm already regretting this."

I quickly pull her into my arms and clutch her tightly.

"I loved him, and I never anticipated this from him. Dad asked me not to call the police, but I insisted on doing so because I was so upset."

"It's okay, nothing to regret," I softly say and I kiss her forehead.