Chapter 73

Later in the evening, after I returned from seeing my father in prison, I rode to Apapa West to see Ren's father and deliver the land title documents my father had given me.

When I reached there, I get off my bike and see that the sky is already beginning to cloud over, which suggested that it might begin to rain soon.

I decide to get this done quickly so that I wouldn't be caught in the rain here. At the same time, I'm hoping and longing to see Ren.

As I'm walking in, I get a call from Scott, which I immediately answer.

"What's up, dude?" I say.

"I'm good," He responds. "BUS 423 results are out," He adds, and I am taken aback. That was the first paper we wrote.

 "How was it?" I inquired, knowing that he would have checked mine.

"I'm sorry, bro, you failed it,"

"Gosh!" I mutter an exasperated phrase. "I will talk to you later," I hastily add and hang up. I tilt my head back, thinking about taking an extra year to graduate.

Since nobody will be forcing me to take another course, I still have options. I reflect to cheer myself up.

It's either I enroll for an extra year or I choose to pursue the career I have always desired.

However, I'm not making a decision just yet, I still have plenty of time to think about it while I must concentrate on why I'm here.

Mr. Ademola responds to my knock on their iron front door. He opens the door and welcomes me into their living room, which has not changed since my previous visit.

I take another glance at the picture frames that were hung on the walls. The old photograph of Ren's father, which I recognized before learning that my father had cruelly treated him, is still affixed to the wall. That makes me scoff.

When I questioned him about Ren, he replied that both she and her cousin Angela had gone to assist their grandmother in her store.

I nod okay, already losing hope that I won't meet Ren today.

I handed him those documents after telling him the real reason I had come here without any hesitation. Before signing them, he spent a few minutes going over them.

"Thank you," He says, and I nod alright.

"I'm sorry for what my dad did to you." I plead, "I know how this cost you and your family, I apologize," I add in the hopes that he can find it in his heart to forgive my father.

He loudly scoffs at my comments.

"Did you know that your sister Olivia contacted me via Karen?" When he responds, my eyebrows rise in shock and confusion as I wait impatiently to hear what he will say next.

I'm speechless as he continues,

"She asked me to report to the police for justice, but I refused."

I wasn't expecting my sister to do that. Kudos to her, because I'd known my father's secret all this while and couldn't do anything about it.

I'm also curious why Mr. Ademola would refuse such.

"Why did you decline to report when that would have been nice?" I question.

 "Because I feel like his biggest punishment is who he is now, I didn't even know the court was going to find him guilty of drug trafficking," He adds. I sigh heavily and look at the floor because I feel ashamed of my dad.

"My point is," He continues. "You are nothing like your father. You should be aware of that." I turn my head to look at him when he says this, and we make eye contact.