Chapter 19

Chidi and I arrived home after spending almost an hour on Osborne road, being stuck in a traffic jam.

Just a 20-minute drive without traffic. Imagine!

That doesn't bother me the fact that I enjoyed the earlier hours with Karen. They say three hours with the right person feels like 10 minutes. Exactly what it feels like with her.

I get down from the bike, taking off my helmet. With the sun already going down, I glance at my wrist. it's 7: 23.

"Did anyone call you?" I ask Chidi as he also gets down.

"Chief called," He says and takes off his helmet.

"You told him exactly where we went to?"

"You know I dare not lie to him,"

"Fine," I roll my eyes before walking out on him. "Thanks by the way," I add.

"You are welcome," I hear him reply.

Stepping into the porch, I first make my way to the HM's office to fix things for Karen.

"Hey, Mike," She greets me the moment she sees me walk in after a knock on her door.

"Hey," I respond, moving close to her. "We have to hire Karen back," I add and she freezes, hearing that from me.

Her face is full of shock.

"What!" That follows. "Why?"

"Because we need to," I answer reasonably.

She scoffs a little as she continues what she is doing, arranging some files on the shelf.

Sometimes I wonder if her job is more than just managing the mansion. She acts like she is working in a company.

This shows how hardworking she is tho.

"No way Mike," She disagrees and I groan loudly as I am tired of arguing.

"She made a salty soup which upset the chief and the worse, she hit you that same night. Have you forgotten that?"

"Of course not,"

"Good!"

I let out a deep sigh, not knowing what next to say.

I think spilling the truth is the only thing that can sort this out as the HM is not ready to listen to me.

"I caused what happened that night, okay?"

"How?" She interrogates, looking into my eyes.

"I sprinkled more salt in the soup," I let out in my calm voice, looking embarrassed and her brows raises in surprise.

"Why would you do that?"

I shrug as I remain in silence.

"That was so childish of you, Mike," She chides at me.

Yeah. I admit I was a jerk.

"I thought she lied. Seeing her with Maria this morning, I asked her to leave," She continues, blaming herself. "I should have believed her,"

"So are gonna email her to get back to work?"

"Sure, since you have revealed the truth,"

Great! I thought, throwing a punch in the air for celebration.

"Thank you so..." I pause the moment something else comes to my mind.

Where would she stay after getting back here?

"I need one more favor from you so that I can thank you in full," I change my utterances and this makes her chuckle a little.

"What?"

"She is having a personal issue in her hostel, can she stay here for some time?" I explain, eager to hear her response.

"Oops!" She reacts. I know that a negative answer will follow.

"There is no room left in the quarters and the chief will never allow any house help stay in the main building,"

My heart sinks to that.

"Oh! I get it, Thank you," I reply and I start walking out on her.

"But she can stay with Maria," Her words freeze me. I turn back to her while she continues. "I notice they get along very well,"

Everyone in the mansion can see that.

"I appreciate it," I state and she nods okay, smiling at me.

Stepping out of her office, I join dad and Olivia who are already having dinner in the dining. I stare intently at the table to see plates of potato porridge in front of them.

Hmm, nice meal.

"Hi guys," I greet them, giving them a side hug one after the other before settling down on the chair that faces Olivia.

"Someone should please serve me my meal," I shout as much as I can in my deep voice.

"Stop shouting like an area boy," Olivia scorns at me and I roll my eyes.

"You seem happy by the way," She adds.

"Just tell us you went to see a girl in that area that is not safe for you," Dad adds.

"That is none of anyone's business," I reply and they both chuckle.

"What is funny?" I react.

"We already saw a video," Dad answers.

"What video?" I ask, furrowing my eyebrows in confusion.

At this moment, Maria comes to serve me a plate of potato porridge with a glass of water and she leaves while dad unlocks his phone and shows a video of me handing two pineapples to a customer.

"Who the hell recorded this?" I blurt out.

"Remember you did not go alone," Dad is saying and I wonder if Chidi was stalking me after he told me he wanted to visit her sister.

"Lucky for me, his sister's shop is near the local store you visited," He adds.

"So what are you gonna do with the video?" I inquire, frowning at him.

"I'm gonna send it to the media. Anderson's son offering services in the community, it's gonna help me,"

I scoff a little as I can't believe this.

"Without my approval,"

"That is why I'm showing you the video,"

At this point, I begin to realize if dad is the right person to lead Lagos state.

With the way he wants to use me to win the election, I hope he is not aiming to loot money like most politicians have been doing because I haven't seen convincing reasons on why and how he wants to act in his government.

He just keeps posting unnecessary videos and sweet deceptive words to convince the people. He even does drugs, but there is nothing I think I can do to help.

I don't have the energy and confidence to go to the media and tell people why my dad is not the right person to vote for in this upcoming election. Who else can do that to his father?

"I do not approve of you releasing that video to the media," I make it clear to him.

"Come on Mike," Olivia interferes. "We have to help and support dad till the end,"

How I wish my sister could see what I am seeing. Our dad is not who we think he is.

"Well, maybe you should tell dad that he is the one rooting to be the next governor, not me," I argue with Olivia sarcastically.

"That doesn't mean anything," Dad says and I take a deep breath. "As long as it takes me to where I am going,"

I give up even though I don't want to be part of this anymore.

"Eat your meal before it gets cold," He adds and I get up immediately.

"I have lost my appetite," I mutter to them and start leaving.

"Mike!" I hear Olivia say. I ignore her calls as I keep dashing upstairs.

"Don't worry dear, he will get over it," I also hear dad say to my sister.