Chapter 27

"I think it's high time I learned how to cook," I break the silence the moment I step into the kitchen and see Karen cutting some leafy vegetables on the table.

With that, she turns around to look at me drawing close to her with my hands folded around my chest.

"Are you that terrible?" She replies, her eyes focusing back on the vegetables.

"Terrible is an overstatement," I say and she giggles a little. When I was still in the UK with my mom, I could still try and prepare fast foods like noodles but after relocating back to Nigeria for college, I can't remember the last time I turn on the gas stove.

Here, the chefs and housemaids prepare our meals or rather order from a restaurant.

"That's so bad," She reacts and I shrug gesturing whatever.

"But I can be of help," I back up. "At least I can cut some vegetables into those small sizes,"

She looks into my eyes like there is something she is searching for.

"What?" I react, eager to know why she is staring at me that way and she instantly takes her eyes off me, clearing her throat.

She hands me over a spare apron as she agrees with me to offer her some help while she moves to the cabinet. I put on the apron that has a Maggi star written over the chest, then I pick up the knife she left on the table, and I begin to chop the leafy vegetables.

Even though I do not know the name of the leaves, I'm sure it's not spinach. It has that kind of smell I can't describe.

"What veggies are these," I ask as I glance at her rinsing the large pot.

"Why did you ask?" She throws back a question.

"I'm perceiving an unpleasant odor," I answer. By now, she is turning on the stove while the pot is already half filled with water. I have no idea what she is about to prepare.

"You should taste it then," She shrugs, staring at me.

"Who eats raw leaves?" I roll my eyes at her.

"Of course, some can be eaten raw," She argues. She is right but not this typical one, smelling somehow.

She draws close to me, picks up a chopped one, and put it in her mouth. I furrow my eyebrows as I watch her grimacing in disgust.

"Come on, take a bite too," She says. Why would she wants me to take a bite with her facial expression? Well, I never back down from a challenge.

I also grab one chop leaf and nibble it.

"What the hell," I react, grimacing as it tastes so bitter that I wanted to spill it out.

"It's bitter leaf so expect it to taste bitter," She explains. Of course, I have heard of bitter leaves but I do not identify the leaves until now.

"You should have told me," I say and she bursts out laughing, making fun of me. I veer to the tap to rinse my mouth.

"No," She shouts, stopping me to open the tap.

"Why?" I shrug.

"Give it some minutes, you are going to feel better," She answers with a smile.

"And you think I should trust you this time?" I smirk at her and she chuckles.

"One last time," She assures me. I shrug okay and veer back to the cutting table to continue chopping the bitter leaf.

She brings out some unripe plantains on the table next to me. I side-eye to watch her slicing the ends off the plantains before cutting them in half.

No sooner than I gradually begin to have some sweet taste in my mouth.