Chapter 29

After taking another shot which is now the fourth, Karen comes back to me. Her eyes look glassy, turning red. I have been expecting her to be drunk by this time as she is not used to this and I can see I calculated it right.

"Oh my gosh! You should try this Mickey," She says, grinning at me. "Woo!" She cheers loudly.

Mickey huh? She is the first person to call me that.

"We should go home," I suggest and she burst out laughing.

"The party isn't over," She says.

She jumps on me and I have to hold her tight with my arms before she could fall.

"I don't care about them anymore, fuck them," She shouts in my arms, looking deeply into my eyes.

This is already catching some people's attention.

"Fuck Nicholas and," She is saying and I shut her mouth so as not to spit anything out again.

What some folks love doing most at parties is taking pictures of those tripping over their words without their consent.

The Karen I know will never want this.

I hold her tightly and start heading out of the bar.

"I want to stay," She whispers.

"You are drunk babe," I say.

"I'm not," She grins.

I couldn't reply to her. We reach the car and I get her in the car, opening the door with my keyfob.

"Hey," I hear Scott say as he comes to me. I close the door and turn around to smirk at him.

"What about you telling me she will be fine?" I say sarcastically and he chuckles.

"Seriously, I have no idea," He shrugs and I roll my eyes. "I can see the reason you care about her," he admits and I feel relaxed.

His trickery smile earlier when I told him Karen is special, reveals he is assuming I'm falling in love with her.

I am now relieved that he won't tell Tracy about it since he knows why I care for her, not that I'm in love.

"Good night," I say, and he nods okay while I get into the driver's seat.

Karen stops me immediately from helping her buckle up.

"I can do that myself, I'm not drunk," She states. I pull my arms back while she buckles up and I start the car.

"I'm kind of thirsty," She complains.

I glance at the back seat to see a bottle of water. I stretch to reach for it and hand it over to her.

She opens and I watch her drink off. I chuckle a little, focusing back on the road.

"What?" She reacts. "I told you I'm not drunk or maybe if I am, to hell with Nicholas and Tobi." She babbles.

"The way my mom did to my dad,"

That part makes me glance at her.

"She dumps me and my dad because of what?"

I clear my throat, thinking if I should just keep mute as I was from the beginning of her rambling or if I should respond.

"Do you know what my dad does tell me?" She asks. I slip my eyeballs to her and catch her staring at me. I wonder if she is serious about this.

I nod no and she giggles.

"My sweetheart, it's almost over and I can't wait to spend father-daughter time with you out of here," She expresses and I gulp as I feel touched by her words even though I don't know if it's true or not.