Chapter 4: Cavalero

"The name's Emanie" He introduced himself immediately they stepped out of the hall and into the hallway. "But everyone calls me Cavalero"

"Why?" Alexis asked, raising her head to face him. It was pretty hard to keep eye contact with him considering he was literally towering over her and she wasn't even that short. 

"It's my last name" he replied "And it kinda has a nice ring to it you know" he added with a smile.

It was amazing how Emanie had switched from being a potential jerk to like the nicest person ever. And it was all because Alexis had told him her last name.

Noah was probably not such a douchebag in school and it was kinda saving Alexis at the moment.

"Yeah kinda" she shrugged. "Also, I've been wondering, how did you know I was in the wrong class?" She asked, genuine curiosity in her tone.

"I just kinda know all the faces that attend that class" He replied. "And I already knew you were a freshman so it was pretty obvious you were lost" he added with a low chuckle.

Alexis could not imagine how stupid she must have looked.

"How?" She questioned.

"Yesterday " he shrugged like it was really obvious. "It was really easy to tell by the way you were staring at me that you had never seen me before" he explained.

Alexis' cheeks flushed a queer pink colour as she turned away in embarrassment. She thought he didn't recognize her from the party since he hadn't said anything about it.

Emanie chuckled seeing how embarrassed she was.  "And unless you're a freshman..." He continued. "it's practically impossible for you to have never seen me before" he concluded, pride evident in his tone.

Popular guy.... Hm.  She thought.

"Yeah, about last night..." She began with a nervous laugh, scratching the back of her head.

She was desperately trying to come up with something to say. Anything. Any explanation that would convince Emanie that she wasn't drooling over him cuz honestly, it was embarrassing.

"No need to explain" he smiled. "I get it" he added, double patting her head like she was some sort of five year old.

"I wasn't staring at you" The words flew out of her mouth before she could stop herself.

Well, wasn't that just dumb?.  She literally heard that voice in her head sigh at her stupidity.

"Oh, of course you weren't" Emanie replied with mock seriousness. "Definitely wasn't staring" he added in a lower tone, looking straight ahead as they finally stepped out of the building.

You could just sense the sarcasm in his voice.

Alexis was staring at him at the party, there was no doubt about it. In fact, she was staring so hard she didn't realize someone had noticed until the person called Emanie's attention to her.

"I'm serious" Alexis defended herself like she wasn't lying straight through her teeth.

"Well, of course you are" Emanie shrugged, a grin tugging at his lips.

Yeah, he wasn't arguing but it didn't take a genius to know he thought otherwise.

"I was just..." Alexis began, ready to lie.

She had already come up with the perfect explanation to defend herself but before she could even make out a single word, Emanie took about three steps ahead of her. Then he stopped, spinning around on his heels to face her.