Chapter 19: Basketball

"Whoa, I have never been here" Alexis said as she stepped into the empty indoor basketball court behind Amarr.

The place was really big and it had a lot of seats for the crowd. The floor was well polished and the place had incredible lighting. So many bulbs.

"Really?" Amarr questioned walking towards a rack to pick up one of the basketballs.

"Yeah" she replied "I've never really been anywhere apart from the lecture complexes, cafeteria and the dorm." She explained and she sat down in one of the many seats.

"I have a big game coming up" Amarr told her bouncing a ball as he walked towards one of the hoops.

"When?" She questioned flipping through her script.

"The date hasn't really been fixed yet" he replied "the team is playing against another school" he explained "I don't know if you'll have the time but it would mean a lot if you come" he added.

"Of course I'll come!" She exclaimed. "The others are gonna be there right?" She questioned. "Dianne, Wayne and Blake" she added.

"Yeah, even Candace"

"Ugh" she rolled her eyes.

"Why do you guys hate each other so much?" Amarr questioned.

"SHE hates me for no damn reason!" She yelled back.

"Candace isn't someone like that" Amarr said turning to face the hoop.

"What do you mean?"

"She might seem gloomy, grouchy, sadistic, annoying..." Amarr was saying.

"Where is this going?" Alexis questioned cutting him short.

"She's actually a very good hearted person" he told her. "She's just like that due to something that happened" he continued. "She can't just hate you for no reason" he said. "You must have done something to her and you don't even know".

"I did nothing!" She yelled. "She already hated me the first day I came to school" she said.

"Why don't you think about what happened at your first encounter with her." Amarr said and he threw his ball at the hoop but missed it. "I'm not saying I know why she hates you, I'm just saying there's definitely a reason, trust me" he added then there was a short silence. "Candace finds it difficult to forgive, let things go and move on" he began again. "She might seem like a terrible person, but when you get to know her, she's just a victim of bad luck going through a lot of emotional pain" he continued. "It bothers us a lot and we try to help but she has built a large wall around herself, pushing everybody away, rejecting help of any and every kind." He added.

"What's going on with her?" Alexis asked.

She was already feeling kinda concerned. She thought Candace was just a terrible person, nothing else.

"I'd rather not say" Amarr replied picking up the basketball to bounce it again.

"Why?"

"I don't know if she would want me telling you" he replied. "It's her life" he added.

"Oh"

"Now, that aside..." Amarr began. "Can't wait to see you at the game" he said with a smile "don't let Dianne influence you" he told her.

"What do you mean?" She questioned with a short laugh.

"She goes crazy during all my games"

"How?"

"Well, one time she came with her body fully painted in the color of our jersey" he began.

"What?" Alexis questioned dying of laughter.