Chapter 12: Shit gets real

"I should have known, the truth was right in front of me the entire time. You liar! You don't even love me at all" Alexis read out the next line of the script in her hand and she sighed. "Yeah I'm gonna fail this assignment" she muttered and she dropped her head on the round table.

She sat in the lonely library that Friday evening. The library always closed at 6pm and it was 5:30 so there were only about six students there.

A lecturer had broken the class down into groups of two and handed out scripts which they were to study and perform with their partners on Monday.

Yeah, it sounded fun but it carried a lot of marks and the lecturer had threatened to deduct marks at every little mistake.

'asswipe!' Alexis screamed internally.

She had gone through the script about five times and it wasn't sinking in.

'this is impossible' she thought 'I can't memorize this shit'

Then the sound of footsteps broke the unending silence, interrupting Alexis' thoughts.
The footsteps stopped at her table and before she could raise her head, a pair of feet appeared under the table.
Whoever it was was now sitting at the table, directly opposite her.

"Alexis" that familiar voice called and she immediately raised her head.

"Hi" she replied forcing a smile. It was Amarr. He had a textbook and a little notebook in front of him and he stared straight at Alexis. "What are you doing at the library?" She asked.

"Oh" Amarr began with a smile on his face "just came to say hi to the lions" he replied

"Oh jeez" she rolled her eyes.

"I'm not kidding, the den is right behind isle 5" Amarr said frankly.

He was effortlessly sarcastic.

"Fuck off" Alexis replied. She was obviously not in the mood for that.

"Ok chill" Amarr began "I walked in about thirty minutes ago and I've already seen you roll your eyes and sigh like a million times" he explained "you good?" He questioned.

"Yeah, I'm just so frustrated by this assignment" Alexis replied looking down at the script in front of her.

"What's it about?" He asked picking up the script to look at it.

"It's a..." She was saying

"A script?" He questioned flipping through the pages.

"Yeah, I'm meant to present it on Monday" she replied "in front of the whole class" she added with emphasis on 'whole'

"Yikes" Amarr began with his eyes now glued to the book "Shouldn't you have a partner for this?" He asked looking at her through his lashes.

"Yeah, a guy" she replied

"Then why aren't you practicing together?"

"No reason"

"You don't have a good relationship with your course mates do you?" Amarr questioned

"I don't talk much" she replied justifying herself.

"Yes you do" he said with a short laugh.

Alexis just rolled her eyes again. She was frustrated.

"Want me to help you practice?" Amarr asked leaning forward.

"Yeah I guess" she replied with a shrug.

"Cool" he smiled and he got up from his seat.

He lifted the chair and he placed it right beside Alexis, then he sat down.