Chapter 38 (Lexi)

I hate baby showers. I find them to be incredibly boring. I don't care to watch a pregnant woman open gift after gift of damn zoo animal onesies and mountains of diapers. I loathe the corny games they play. Baby due date guesses, baby shower bingo, and blah. Stupid. 

That being said, I am going to a baby shower today. I hardly had a choice. Enzo my future hubby's, sister is having a kid and that means I have to go. My family was invited in some lame attempt to mend relations.

If not for this kid it would be that Alessandro guy I would've had to marry. Of the two I think I prefer Enzo's looks, so good on Alessandro for not wearing a rubber and knocking up a girl he doesn't wanna be with.

        Anthony will be there. It'll be the first time aside from that sit down that we'll all be together in the same room. And this time for longer. I could care less about meeting any other Rizzo family member or any of Enzo's friends. I don't even care to know Enzo for that matter. 

I'm not looking to make this a real marriage. I'm hoping he agrees we'll be together in title only and we both go about our business seeing other people.

        My heart dropped when I realized something. I'm about to be introduced as Enzo's soon to be wife, and his SISTER has already seen me with her cousin. There is a very strong possibility she'd remember me from Anthony's apartment. In a total panic I texted him to point that out.

*Anthony: Fuck* was his response. And then after, *Anthony: I'll make her promise not to say anything. She owes me a lot for helping her out*

     I don't know the girl's character to be able to determine if she's trustworthy or not. She would have the perfect ammo to fuck us over if she felt like it. But if Anthony did a lot for her then that has to mean they have a good relationship. So why would she fuck over her own cousin by telling everyone she knows me already? Let's hope.

      I was finally in my own apartment. I complained to Vitaly that I would have nothing to wear to a baby shower and needed my clothes at my own home to pick something out. What I was doing now was sitting in front of the large wall mirror between Chloe's room and mine in the hallway.

 My hair was in loose waves, tousled over to the side carelessly, but I figured maybe I should tie a few pieces back a bit and give myself a more fancy look.  It's less messy, and Vitaly wouldn't settle for messy.

I really didn't try very hard on the outfit though. I wore a soft fabric mauve jumper, which was somewhat bohemian. I've never been one very interested in impressing people. Vitaly or not.

-

        This baby shower was being hosted by the Rizzo crime family  in honor of Alessandro De luca and Giana Rizzo's child. I guess we're going to a very large home where Mr. Rizzo, Enzo's father and mother live. I know it's gonna be extravagant because crime bosses love to be showy. 

I was alone in a four door blacked out car, I was arriving separately from my father and brothers, but I was instructed to wait for them in the car until they arrived. We'll be entering together for no good reason.

       When I say 'alone in a car' what I mean is I have a personal driver, Boris, and one other security man in the car with me. I never needed so much protection when the Petrov's weren't here. It feels silly now. Like, is my life actually in danger or are these mobsters self important and paranoid. I wasn't associated with the mob for so many years. 

It's weird to think I am affiliated now. Are their enemies my enemies?

        To no surprise when I pulled up to a long driveway with a fancy iron rot gate we were checked out before they waved us forward. I saw many expensive cars all parked along the sides of the long gravel drive up to the front short lawn of the home. It's a very big, very colonial designed home.