Chapter 49 (Anthony)

I slammed the steering wheel at the red light. What the fuck was I thinking? I told myself over and over again that I wouldn't touch Lexi Petrov ever again. And what did I go and do? Fuck her against the safehouse wall. I couldn't stand it. That thick tension and burning for her touch. I needed to be inside her, kiss her, taste her.

One last time I'd told myself. But that's what I said in the stairwell the day we talked and sorted things out. Not only do I feel guilty for touching my cousins girl, I feel stupid for putting us both at unnecessary risk. 

I know Vitaly's reputation and I know his son's reputation too. They're ruthless men. What would they do if they found out I compromised their prized virgin? They'd kill me I'm sure, but what would they do to her? I'm not willing to find out.

        I slammed the wheel again and shot off once the light turned green. I have bigger things to worry about. The war with the Irish is officially underway and we have men we lost already in the process. I need to smooth relations with the Russians and help carry out the attacks with the Italians. It's an all hands on deck kind of assignment. 

Dom wants us to hit them hard to show our strength to not only the O' Reily's, but the Petrov's as well. We can't look weak in our allies' eyes.

        I've been wracking my brain about the shootout that occurred at our other safe house. There should have been no way that that location could have been compromised. We were careful. Very careful and we aren't rookies at this. Yet they found the girls easily and hit us skillfully. And something in my gut is telling me they had help with that. 

A rat somewhere in our guardsmen. I don't have proof but I'll find it. And if I do I'll kill the mother fucker myself.

-

        I was on the line waiting for the call to connect through the prison system. When my father was clicked in his voice was the same rasp I remember from 11 years ago when he'd be teaching me a thing or two about the business. Right before he got pinched. 

Even before then, but I do remember the final days before all hell broke loose in my family most clearly.

        Yeah, I remember young Anthony Rizzo 16-17 years old dropping my backpack down harshly at the front door when I called out for my father. "Ma never showed up at the school" I gritted out. "For what?" My father was oblivious. "I got suspended. For fighting. I needed a parent to sign me out" I rolled my eyes. 

"Fighting?" Was all he said about it. He knew my mother didn't come home last night and he doesn't give a single fuck about it.

My Pops is a character straight outta a movie. Hairy chest, open cut shirt that shows it, and his gold chain necklace. He always had a thick gold pinky ring.

        "Enzo started it. I finished it" I told him. He knew my cousin was a hot head. He was causing trouble with some guys at our school and it ended in a few blows out in the parking lot. Thing is, the school still considered the parking lot 'school grounds', so I was suspended along with the other two chumps and Enzo.

Enzo's mother actually showed up to grab him, but my mother was a no show. After some convincing my aunt got the front desk to let her just sign me out instead. She's family anyway and all that.

        "Anthony, you know your mother. Don't make it a thing, huh?" His accent was heavier than most. A New York Italian through and through. Just then the front door opened and in came my mother, cigarette dangling from her lips. She stopped short at the door and looked between the two of us.