Chapter 78 (Lexi)

It wasn't sunrise quite yet, but the sky had lightened above head. The time of dawn just before sunrise where everythings still dim. I can't remember a time where I've ever spent an entire night just talking to someone. We'd been twisted in those car seats to the point of feeling stiff from hours passing.

Anthony was the first to notice it. That we'd stayed out all night. He laughed about it, but I jolted at the realization that if I wasn't home by the time the Petrov's got up then I'd be in some deep shit. They'd ask questions. They'd be furious.

When I reminded Anthony of that fact he was quick to get me home. It wasn't morning yet, everyone should still be asleep. I told Anthony to park down the street, and I'd walk the last of the road home, or else his car could be identified by the guards.

        "You don't want me to drop you at the door?" He gave me a face.

"This isn't the 1800's you don't need to walk me to the door. Actually...that's not historically accurate. If we were alone at night without a chaperone I would be a ruined woman, and bring shame onto my family. Thank goodness they shame themselves enough without my help. So goodnight. Or? Morning" I rambled without meaning to, but his smile told me he didn't mind it.

"Guten tag" I thought I heard him call out.

By the time I got to the front gate of the house I could hear its mechanical lever unlock and slowly roll open. There were several guards waiting on the other side. "Miss Petrov, are you alright?" One of the men quickly asked me.

Did they think I stayed out all night because something bad happened? Or was it because they saw me walking down the street alone at this hour? Either way I muttered that I was fine and started past them. One of them started to say something, but I was already halfway up the drive.

When I got to the front door I opened it as quietly as possible, slipping my shoes off so they wouldn't echo across the vast entryway. I took about five steps in before I was met by a figure in the darks of the hall. I jolted at the intrusion. Or was it that my heart stopped when realizing I'd been caught.

        Dmitriy took his time emerging from the other room. I stayed stiff as a statue trying to read the situation. "Where the fuck were you?" His voice was low so we wouldn't be overheard, but harsh from the anger held behind it. I opened my mouth and let something come out on its own.

"With my fiance" I lied. How could they be mad at that right? Dmitriy looked at me for a beat. My heart rate picked up between the passing seconds.

"Your fiance?" He repeated my answer. I just nodded. My brother took a few more steps towards me. Calm steps. Then he stopped right in front of me and I could see the heat behind his eyes. "You sure about that?" He worried me in his response.

What does he know? What did he see?

All I could think about was the potential scandal that would be unleashed if Dmitriy knew I was out all night with the wrong Rizzo. He'd begin to suspect things, and he would hold Anthony accountable for corrupting the virgin bride.

Who knows what they'd do to him. And to me. What punishment would I face for defying them, lying to them, and sullying myself shaming their name and their contract.

"Dmitriy why are you awake at this hour grilling me?" I tried to deflect. He didn't budge.

"Because about 20 minutes ago the guards informed me that you never made it home. And then again when they saw you walking down the street. Where were you, Aleksandra, and don't you dare lie to me this time because I'm already fuming" he seethed towards the finish of his interrogation speech.