Chapter 48 (Lexi)

This time the safehouse I was brought to was much smaller. I liked it actually, it was a bungalow style house, single story. There were verandas that were open walled with a roof attached to the porch. All the window trimming and front door were a clean white, but the house itself was two toned with a gray-ish blue paint job. It was cozy in my opinion.

It was Anthony who brought me here and he was careful not to be followed. He had his men behind us as security. Andrei had been dropped off with Enzo who was going to be having a meeting with the boss and underboss. Blah blah.

Anthony helped me carry my bags inside and he showed me around the place. 

        "There will be guards on the property. They'll have this patch sewn onto their sleeves, so that's how you'll know they're our guys," he showed me an example uniform. I just nodded along to his instructions.

"Will I be alone here?" I asked him. He bit his lip in thought and rubbed the back of his neck which flexed his arm muscle nicely. "I'll try to come by if I can. Or Enzo I guess. It's still undecided, but Domani might send Mia here. I'll keep in contact with you about all this" he told me. "Is this a long term thing?" I didn't want to be stuck here.

Anthony sighed and leaned into the doorway that separates the small dining room from the larger living room at the front portion of the house. The kitchen was towards the left of the house further back, and further than that was the two bedrooms in an alcove of their own.

        "I wish I had more answers for you. This was very last minute, but your father and I were at odds. I'd rather you here, Lex. I can guarantee your safety that way" his warm hazel eyes fell on me and stayed there. I was a few feet away, but took a step closer to him. His body tensed at my closeness.

We were alone for the first time and I couldn't help myself. I brought my hand up to his chest and slid up to the back of his neck. Anthony's eyes closed of their own volition. His nostrils flared and his jaw jumped with tension. 

"Lexi, we can't go there" he told me, taking my wrist to pull my hand away.

He pulled it down, but didn't immediately let it go. My head was tipped back in order to look at him. His head was dipped to look down on me. The air between us thickened in a familiar way and I wanted to touch him again. Really touch him.

"Is it my age, my bloodline, or my circumstances with Enzo that make you so hesitant?" I asked him. "We're alone," I reminded him.

"All three, sweetheart" he released my wrist, but brought his hand up to my face. He let his thumb trace my bottom lip, which made me lick them once he removed his hand.

        We were frozen in this moment of closeness. Neither of us making the effort to back away, but neither of us making a move forward. I already tried once. He pulled away. It's his turn now to show me what he wants.

I know I don't care about Enzo. I know I'm not cheating because we aren't even in a relationship. This was a business deal. I don't feel bad hooking up with Anthony, so long as we don't get caught.

"I've only been with you. Do you really want to send me off to Enzo? Is that what you'd rather?" I licked my lips again. Maybe it's unfair to entice him. Maybe I should back off, but this chemistry between us doesn't just shut off because our circumstances change. I still want him. Badly. And this thick air between us doesn't help me any. I feel the intangible pull that keeps me here just two short steps away.

        Anthony's jaw clenched harder, it sharpened at his obvious strain. He swiftly grabbed my waist and drew me against him. When our bodies came flush together he fisted my hair and brought our faces closer. Close enough to mingle breaths when his gritty voice told me, "No I fucking don't 'Want ' to, Lexi. It's not about Want though, is it? You know what I want...this is about what needs to be done...no matter how badly I burn to touch you again."