Chapter 101 (Lexi)

I had done some Fashion Week prep like company dinners and early fittings. Two months and it'll be here. It kept me busy while Anthony was in Philly, which I needed. When all was said and done I went back to my new apartment to things mostly in order, boxes unpacked, and things squared away. I'd spent two nights in a hotel room in the city with Mia, because it was easier than traveling back and forth when we were so busy, and frankly exhausted. The good kind of exhausted though.

When I walked through the front door I had a handful of gift bags hanging off my arms, tripping over myself trying to carry it all.

"Lex?" I heard a deep voice call out. "It's me" I hollered, dropping everything at my feet. I saw his tall frame coming around the corner from the hall. It was mid morning, so our front facing bay windows flooded the whole room with sunlight. The place has all hardwood floors, glossed over with a nice finish.

I had my hair thrown up, my oversized shirt was half falling off my shoulder, and I was bare faced without any makeup. I'm sure I looked a mess compared to how put together I had to be for those company events.

I sighed a breath of relief when the bags fell from my arms. And there in front of me was my husband.

"Well?" He asked me, eyes taking in every inch of me. "Well, what?" I didn't understand the question. "How was it? I feel like I haven't seen you in a month" he told me, stepping forward to help me with the goodie bags.

"Awesome, crazy" I went down the line of emotions I'd felt the past few days.

"I saw all the pictures you posted online. Looked like a hell of a time..." he said, and it almost felt like he was fishing for something, but what? "How'd you see my posts? You don't have an Instagram?" I arched a brow at him. "I have my sources" was all he said about it.

I rolled my eyes and followed him to my walk-in closet where he was setting the bags down. Free merch. With my back turned to him I heard him clear his throat. Out of the corner of my eye I could see him rubbing the back of his neck before he reached up and grabbed the frame of the door.

        "So I've been thinking...you know, about what you said" he started off. "Don't think too hard. You might hurt yourself" my sarcastic ass remarked. "I handled things poorly" he told me, like that wasn't obvious.

By the fact that he seemed to have unpacked everything I assume his answer to my offer to move into a two bedroom was no. I'd given him that option this week before he left for Philly.

"Will you look at me a minute?" He huffed, stepping further into the closet. He took my arm and turned me towards him.

Damn him for being so handsome. Even in casual wear like he has on now. Black joggers and a dark gray t-shirt, no shoes. His hair is tousled like maybe he's been running his fingers through it. He's not wearing cologne, but he doesn't need to. His natural musk is just as deliciously irresistible to me.

        "Lex, what did you mean when you said you liked me more than you bargained for?" He finally asked me. I decided not to play games and pretend I didn't know what my main issue was, and I'd told him the straight up truth when we'd last talked. Still, it was hard to look him in the face when he asked me that.

"It means just what it says" I shrugged. I wasn't about to spell it out because if I'm being honest I'm not 100% sure what I mean. How deep it might run.

Anthony wasn't satisfied with that answer though. His hazel eyes pierced me with his stare. "I need you to spell it out for me, Lex" he asked exactly what I just told myself I wouldn't do for him. I abandoned the shirt I had in my hands from the goodie bag I'd been rummaging through before Anthony turned me around. I slapped both arms at my sides and sighed.