Chapter 51 (Lexi)

Mia isn't the worst company I've kept. She talks a lot but she's a nice girl. She helped pass the time along and I learned a lot more about this group of Italians I'm marrying into. I noticed she checked her phone about every ten minutes, and I know she's waiting for news. I doubt we'll have any yet. 

A mob war doesn't conclude after a few hours have passed. Not even close.

        "So yeah, I was gonna stay with Sophia and the De Luca women, but then I realized you'd be alone and I thought that wasn't right. So, that's why they're there and we're here. They don't like too many prominent figures in one place at one time. Easy pickings or whatever" Mia continued to blab like she was answering a question I asked.

I didn't ask. She just started telling me why she isn't with her best friend who's called twice already.

"Why do you think they have me here and not with the Rizzo women?" I randomly asked as the thought came to me. If she was meant to be with the De Luca women wouldn't I be meant for the Rizzo women? Giana and her mother and whoever else. 

Mia opened and closed her mouth.

        "I think this was Anthony's choice. Maybe he thought you'd appreciate a little space without crowding in with your future mother in law and all that. Anthony's a great guy. I'm sure you'll get to know him in time. He's with Enzo a lot" she told me.

For some reason when she mentioned Anthony my gut clenched. What did Giana say about the two of them? They'd been together at one point. Was she the girl Anthony told me about? The one who made him not want to look for anything serious once she left him? He must've really liked her. My gut doesn't like that.

        "Do you know Anthony well? I thought I saw a little spark in your eye when you mentioned his name" I bullshited. I just wanted her to tell me about them so I didn't have to pretend I didn't know. Or I guess I could tell her that Giana told me. Giana didn't seem worried to keep that a secret. "Oh, I-" Mia didn't finish her sentence.

"Giana told me" I cut to it. "What?" She tipped her head. "About you and Anthony" I clarified.

Mia's expression flickered, though I'm not sure what it said. "Of course she did," she muttered to herself. "Yes, briefly we were. Before Dom and I sorted out our differences" she told me. Differences? As in, he almost got another girl pregnant. Is that the difference she's referring to? Not my place to judge.

        "Oh god, what else did she tell you? I can see it written all over your face. You know everything, don't you?" The girl actually blushed and looked down at her hands. "Not sure if I know 'everything', but I know a few things" I shrugged with honesty. 

"Can I ask you something though?" That made her look up at me. Since she didn't say anything I took that as a yes. "Why did you pick Dom over Anthony?" I asked her. I couldn't help myself. She says Anthony is a great guy and from what I know about him I think he is too. 

But what I've heard about Dom, however limited, wasn't anything good. 

        Mia looked surprised I'd ask outright, but I found it a fair question. She's been blabbing for hours so why clam up now? "The thing people never understood about me and Dom was that deep connection we felt when we were together. Hell, even when we were apart. I put an ocean between us and it still couldn't keep us apart. We both have our flaws, I'll admit as much, but I see Dom for more than just his hard outer shell. I know he's good inside" she told me, and she held so much conviction in her tone. 

She believes it through and through.

"And Anthony...he's easy to be around. He's handsome and decent. But his very existence never consumed me. Not like Dom. Dom is...Dom is everything I shouldn't want and everything I don't think I could live without. Call us both crazy, I suppose. Most people do" she shrugged, but she didn't look so bothered by what others thought or so she's trying to show me.