Chapter 94 (Lexi)

As soon as the doors opened and I saw hundreds of eyes on me I felt ill. I clutched my bouquet tight and tried to remember not to trip on the hem of the dress like a fool. But then I looked up. I saw Anthony Rizzo in a tuxedo, and he's the sharpest he's ever looked. He stood with proud, sure shoulders and a confident chest, and for whatever reason it soothed me.

Yes, I fought against this marriage contract my whole life. Yes, I failed to out run it. But I could've done much worse than Anthony Rizzo, of the Rizzo crime family. He's a decent man even if he is a criminal. And he's the hottest guy I've ever met. 

He taught me sex. I taught him literature. He listens when I talk. I let him ask me personal questions. We found our foundation even before we knew we'd be wed.

        So when I stood in front of the man in the sharp suit I let the resentment go for a while. I wouldn't let the Petrov men ruin this moment that they forced onto me. I took hold of it for myself. 

Anthony shocked me when he pulled out his own vows. I didn't expect it and it resonated deeply, his promise to me. I understood everything he was trying to tell me even if his voice was shaking and he stuttered over his written out quotes from lord knows where.

We're now roommates who like to kiss and hold great conversations. And we'll be alright. His promise that he won't hold me back. Me or my growth. Freedom and friendship, that's what it means for us as husband and wife. I think every marriage has its own definition. That ones ours.

       When Anthony slipped the ring on my finger and I did the same to him we had nothing left to do but kiss. And we did. "I now pronounce you husband and wife" the officiant announced and the room erupted in clapping and whistling. 

The woman I hired to do our vows was no one special to me. She just had the highest fee and I charged it to Vitaly's credit card while planning my absurd wedding. I've since dialed back.

        Anthony's lips on mine felt different for one reason alone. We weren't hiding it anymore. What they think is the first time is actually the thousandth time. We shared a long, but appropriate kiss and hugged there for all to see. 

Then the wedding party joined partners and started back down the hall, as we held hands and smiled like fools. For it being fake I felt oddly giddy in this moment. I kissed him again just because I could.

Seeing Andrei hooking arms with Giana, I swear I saw her roll her eyes at him before they made their way down the aisle to the exit. Where all the guests lined up to throw rose petals as the new bride and groom exited the building.

-

        I chose blush pink as the main color for the wedding reception. The main reception, because I booked a second place for the after party where the night will continue more lowkey than this. Again, all on Vitaly's dime, which is why I did it.

You think of pink as a cutesy color, but what I've learned since planning this soiree is that the color is very versatile. Blush pink, millennial pink, dark to hot pink. It goes on. Maybe I wanted pink because I knew it was the color my mother intended on using for my 17th birthday, before she died.

Honestly the finished product looked like a fairytale. Not an absurd one either. There was cocktail hour on the terrace of the venue, where chandeliers and white and gold decor made up the area. Blush pink drapery and tasteful floral arches.

While we took wedding photos this is where the guests remained.

        Moving into the reception hall there was a continuation of the sheer, soft colored drapery where it led to the main room where there were bundles of blush, creme and white roses on high gold candle sticks as centerpieces.