Chapter 89 (Anthony)

A hospital and several ice baths later I was still a fucking wreck. I took many painkillers and slept for three days before I decided to get up and be a human again. I had shit I needed to handle, but I look so busted up I think I'll scare pedestrians away if I go walking around town like this. But I need to go see Vitaly first thing, and then I need to go find a ring.

    I'm not having Lexi keep Enzo's engagement ring. I heard she didn't even pick it out, and it doesn't seem like it's her style. I want to get her something that suits her. And when I think of Lexi I think of something vintage and beautiful.

So that's what I googled, and I found a few jewelers in New York that are collectors.

I asked Giana to come with me. She gave me shit at first telling me she's too tired and the babies been cranky, but I reminded her that she's the only person aside from Enzo who knows my history with Lex, and I needed someone's opinion. Don't think Enzo's very enthusiastic about it. But that part comes later.

First is Vitaly. Things aren't set in stone yet, but if I fought Andrei and almost damn near killed myself and he still says no I might go ahead and beat his ass too.

I have stitches in my eyebrow line, one through the inside of my lip where it split deeper than what it is on the outside, and I have surgical tape holding the skin on my knuckles together. I'm blue and purple all over like an over ripe plum.

I'm swollen in various places. I'm limping too. And still I hobbled my ass to the Petrov residence. They knew I was coming. This is technically a formal sit down.

When I got to the place I was escorted by the guards to Vitaly's study as I have been before when coming here for meetings. I usually never leave this place happy. Vitaly likes to disrespect me, and I don't respond kindly to it. Still he aired on false pleasantries when I walked through his office door.

"Anthony Rizzo" he said my name like an announcement. He came to shake my hand, but stopped himself when he saw their condition. Instead he waved for me to have a seat and went to his liquor cart to pour me a drink. I won't refuse it. Helps numb the pain.

"I must admit...I haven't seen a fight like that in a long time. Maybe ever. You surprised me, Mr. Rizzo. Andrei isn't a man to be beaten" he walked over and placed the glass on the edge of his desk in front of where I now sat.

It's very showy here in terms of decorating. I think Vitaly is a man who likes to remind others of his wealth and power. It's practically aristocratic here.

"I assume your son explained my proposal for that fight?" I asked him. He hummed and rounded the desk. "Yes. You want Aleksandra to be your wife" he said. Nothing in his tone or expression gave anything away.

I thought for a moment that we'd be alone, but of course Dmitriy is his shadow, so he appeared just then. He walked past me and over to his father. He literally stood behind him as a shadow does. His eyes studied my condition. "The both of you look like dog shit" was his only form of greeting. I just brought my eyes back to Vitaly.

"Well?" I asked him. He folded his fingers in front of him and made a show of taking his time. "What makes you think you're worthy of my daughter? You are an underboss to a creditable crime family, sure...but is that enough? She was meant for the boss of the whole mob, and somehow she's been passed around like an unpaid whore" he stated harshly.

"Mr. Petrov, I have nothing but respect for your daughter. I think your own son could vouch for that. I'd like to remind you that I kicked my own cousin's ass when he laid a finger on her." With that Vitaly smirked in the most unpleasant way. "Yes...if you can so easily turn on family then how loyal a man are you, Mr. Rizzo?" He taunted me.