Chapter 88 (Lexi)

The gallery was at a chic place downtown. The floor plan was wide open and the walls were covered in photos. There were a few tall columns in the middle of the place with portraits on a few of the sides in an artsy way.

They were serving wine towards the front of the place, and low music was playing amongst the chatter of the trendy people all scattered around inside. We got to get an early peek at the place a little while ago, but then we went to change into better clothing.

    It wasn't fancy, but I guess you could call it a 'cocktail party' launch of Sammi's exhibit. Sammi was in a posh outfit, with sky high heels that looked very expensive. Everything on Mia was expensive, I know that much. Everything down to her fancy perfume is designer.

"So glad you could actually make it out here. Thank you all for coming. Means a lot" Sammi's lovely British accent didn't stand out here, but I still enjoyed it. She hugged me and Mia and shook hands with Dom. I guess they've met before.

"Babes, I have people asking about you. Did you bring any business cards?" The star of the night suddenly turned to me. Of course I did. My agent wouldn't have it any other way. I popped open my clutch and handed her a few.

    "Don't be modest. Hand me a few more" she smirked when she noticed the bundle inside my bag. I wasn't embarrassed about it either.

That's business for ya, even if I don't like asking for handouts. This wasn't a hand out though. Sammi asked to photograph me for free and I said yes. If anything comes of it that'll just be a bonus to all this.

"Mia, come, I want to introduce you to everyone" Sammi grabbed Mia with her tattooed hand and pointy long nails that were painted over. Mia looked at Dom who waved for her to go without him. He doesn't seem like the guy you'd drag around a room introducing to people. I stayed with the guy.

    "Do you feel weird knowing people are staring at your pictures in this room right now?" He turned to me and asked. I shrugged. "I'm a model. People look at me anyways. This isn't much different."

He nodded in understanding or just because he doesn't talk more than that. We took a turn about the room like we were two ladies in a Jane Austen novel. Slowly and deliberately.

"She's good," I muttered. Dom didn't respond to that. I've officially spent half a day with the guy and I don't hate him yet, so. I tried my luck at a conversation. "All I know about you is your business. Anything else I should know about you?" I peeked up at him. He glanced down and he was towering even me at my modeling height.

    "No" he deadpanned. I snorted without meaning to.

"Is that you saying you are your work, or do you just hate using more than a handful of syllables on a person?" I messed with him. I figure he can't kill me when Mia's in the room.

Last encounter he and I had before this trip was rather intense. He told me I'd be wise to protect Mia at all costs. It was a threat, but I turned around and called it a favor. He'd left it at that, but I doubt he liked it.

Domani's face barely even flinched when he took in my comment. He just slid his eyes from the photograph in front of us down to me. "I don't have time for a life outside of my work and what little time I do have I spend on her" he thumbed over to a chatty Mia smiling and laughing. He eyed her and every single person around her. I thought I saw his jaw muscle jump with tension.

    "Fair enough. I guess we found our only common point" I told him without malice. His eyes were still fixed on his girl. "And I'm assuming you don't mean business" he deadpanned. "Well actually...I think I'd be good at a thing or two in your field of work" I stated without saying too much. He hummed in amusement. "Right," he said condescendingly.