Chapter 100 (Anthony)

When I came home the following night I wasn't sure what to expect from Lexi. I had fallen asleep on Enzo's sofa after we smoked that joint, which meant I never made it home. Lexi didn't call or text me, which doesn't surprise me seeing as I freaked out on her telling her I can do whatever I want or whatever the fuck I said. I was a prick.

Today when I got home the house was quiet. I looked around the house, but she wasn't home. I have to go down to Philly with some of the guys and the Petrov men now that we cleaned out the rats.

All the Irish scurried away to Boston. Too bad we'll have business down there soon enough, which means they won't be staying for long.

Anyways, I didn't wanna just go to Philly without telling her why I'd be gone for a few days. Maybe it'd be a good thing. The space. But then why am I bummed to actually be going away from her? Leaving her here.

It was past 7 when Lexi came walking in. She slipped off her shoes and picked them up to put them away in her own closet. She didn't look at me on the sofa, she walked right past me. I grit my teeth. I knew why she did it, but I hate that she did.

I waited for her to come back out of the bedroom, but she didn't. It forced me to get up and go to her instead.

"Hey" I stupidly addressed her when I saw her on the mattress shuffling through a couple books trying to decide which one to read. She barely lifted her head when she answered, "Hello." It was dry to no surprise.

"I have to go to Philly tomorrow...for work" I told her. I thought she'd at least look up for that part, but she didn't. Instead she flipped one of the books to its back and started reading the description.

I swiped my hand down my face, which made a scratchy sound over my 5 o'clock shadow. Leaning into the doorway I figured she'd have to look up if she felt me still standing here.

"Need something else?" She asked me, but didn't grant me the courtesy of looking up from the book she now decided on. She moved the other two to the other side of the mattress where I'd usually sleep then settled into her now fluffed up pillow.

"I, uh, look, Lex...I didn't mean to flip out yesterday. I just-" she didn't let me finish.

"I heard you loud and clear. We don't need to hash it out. That's what real married couples do. Which we aren't " she told me. I could feel the chill from here. Fuck. I didn't like this.

"I'm sorry, Lex" I stood to my full height instead of leaning on the door frame, and walked across the room until I made it to the end of the bed. I didn't sit, but I looked down at her. She's in nothing but a big tee and I wanna rip it off her. Bared legged, she curled them under her and stuck her finger in the first page to look up at me from where she'd started to read.

        "This is a big adjustment. Having you living with me and all that" I started to talk since she wouldn't. She was making me uneasy with her disinterested stare.

"I'm not living With you. We are living together. There is a difference" she told me. I nodded because I think I understand what she means.

"I knew you'd regret it. I just wasn't sure how soon you'd realize it. I must say, it came on pretty quickly. But you have Philly, and I have fashion week prep coming up soon. I honestly won't even be around much if that offers you any comfort" she told me.

And fuck...it didn't offer me comfort at all. It chaffed me to think of it. She won't be around?

        "I don't regret it, Lexi. That's not what yesterday was about" I tried to explain. I don't want her thinking that. It's a shitty thing to think. That someone regrets you. I don't. I'm just freaked out and handling it poorly is all.