Chapter 110 (Anthony)

"How are things going with you and Lexi?" My cousin eyed me from across his kitchen table. We were waiting for Giana to get here with our nephew so we could spend some time with the little guy.

I thought Lexi would become a sore subject between Enzo and I, but I'm grateful that it hasn't because I really need someone to talk to about all this and it's usually him I go to when I need to vent.

        "Really good. The relationship part, at least. It's killing me that I'm holding this secret from her though. I can't decide what's the right thing to do. Leave her blissfully ignorant or tell her the truth that'll hurt her..." I sighed at the thought.

I'm practically giving myself heartburn lately with this tension roiling my gut every time the thought crosses my mind. Especially since I've had to do so much work with the Petrov's this week as we wrap up the Philly business so Vitaly and Dmytriy can get the fuck outta here. I want them gone as much as Lexi does.

        "I've told you my opinion on this...I think you should keep that information to yourself. I know you aren't the type to lie, but this ain't lying. Not really" Enzo shrugged. He cracked a can of beer and slurped the foam before it could slosh over. I've been nursing mine since my guts clenched again in worry.

"Withholding information is its own form of lying. I know how Lexi thinks...I think she'd feel betrayed if I kept this to myself. It's just....not only am I worried about how hurt she'd be, I'm also terrified of what she might do after the fact..." and my stomach roils yet again.

        "We were born into this...the Made life. And yeah, she technically was too, but she dipped out of it early and never wanted back in it. If circumstances were different, like if her mom never died and her pops never found her again, she wouldn't want any part of this life. She probably wouldn't have wanted you once she found out what you were linked to" my cousin said something I never even considered. 

Would Lexi not give me the time of day if she didn't have to be involved in mob life?

"Right now she's got all these ideas about joining the family business, but I think it's a passing attraction. It's never just about business with us. You know that. She knows that. If she started up her agency or whatever the fuck it is that she wants she'd be facing the underbelly of all the illegal and dark shit just like we do. I don't think she truly wants to get her hands dirty" he continued.

I opened my mouth to speak but Enzo held me off with a hand gesture to hold on a minute.

"If you involve her in the shit you know about her Pops and the family business...she's gonna have to get down in the dirt for this" Enzo's words lingered. 

        I don't know what I wanted to say to even respond to that, but I didn't get the chance to. Suddenly there was a knock and I realized Giana was already here. We won't discuss this in front of her which meant we hadda drop it for now.

Enzo got up from the table to go open the door. I smoothed my face over so I wouldn't give away my worry to my other cousin, Giana, who would pick up on it quickly and harass me until she got herself answers.

Behind me I heard Enzo saying, "Why do you got the kid in jeans? He's zero years old" which actually made me chuckle when I heard his sister's scoff. "They aren't jeans-jeans they're like a jeggings material" she shoved the baby seat at her brother to put baby Matteo on the table to take him out of the carrier.

        "What the fuck is a jegging?" He scoffed back. "Dude, you have a daughter. How do you not know what jeggings are?" I teased him. He flipped me off. "How do you know?" He tested me. "I bought Daisy how many outfits over the years? Lady at the store told me all about it one year. She was sexy, so I let her talk" I chuckled.