Prologue, Part II

Prologue: Curiosity Killed the Cat, Part II

----

Here I was, trapped in a gymnasium with, like, a dozen strangers. Naturally, for someone who had never really socialised, I was basically glued to the spot, unable to approach them. And Noriko wasn't helping.

Noriko: I don't trust any of them-

Daisuke: I'm sorry, Noriko, but it's best for me to at least try to get to know 'em, am I right?

Noriko: Be careful then, Daisuke-kun.

Daisuke: Right. Now, who should I talk with first?

Girl with Staff: Hey. Get a move on, dummy. You're not gonna get anywhere just standing there like a statue.

Daisuke: Oh! No need to scare me-

Girl with Staff: You? Scared? Geez, you must be pretty pathetic. Guess I've got to whip you to shape, then.

Daisuke: Who even are you?

Girl with Staff: Name's Yae Hayabusa. I'm the Ultimate Hapkido Master, if you're wondering.

Daisuke: Hapkido? What even is it?

Yae: Oh, you're not familiar with martial arts? Hapkido is basically why I'm carrying this big stick with me. Yes, I know it's a lot more than hitting people with it, but back when I was a kid, I wanted to be known for fighting with a staff, and when I looked up Hope's Peak Academy, "Ultimate Bojutsu Master" had already been taken.

Daisuke: Oh. I didn't know that, thanks for elaborating...

Yae: (smirking) Besides, learning other fighting techniques will help me in a pinch. Kicking, joint locking, grappling... Hapkido has it all. It's like this Korean hybrid martial art, if you get me, okay? Now don't ask me any more questions.

Daisuke: Why's that?

Yae: Go annoy someone else, otherwise I'll hit you.

With Yae raising her staff at me, I wisely stepped away from her. Clearly she didn't have any problem with threatening people if they annoyed her... I thought it would be best to approach her, and people like her, carefully.

My thoughts then turned towards the rather large hand on my shoulder. I looked behind myself to see that it was the big man in the lime tracksuit.

Boy in Tracksuit: Relax, dude! I think she's all bark and no bite.

Daisuke: Really?! She just threatened to hit me with-

Boy in Tracksuit: I don't think any girl here, or anybody really, has it in them to hurt any of us.

Cynical Man: Are you serious?!

Boy in Tracksuit: I'm trying to calm people down, here!

Daisuke: Why do you think that?

Boy in Tracksuit: 'Cuz I respect people. If they don't wanna do stuff with me, then I accept it. No big deal.

Daisuke: That sounds nice. I'm Daisuke Hiyori, the Ultimate Hikikomori.

Boy in Tracksuit: And I'm Goh Hanma, the Ultimate Weightlifter! Remember this, kid: always look out for the little guy.

Daisuke: Umm... I'm not really a social butterfly.

Of course, that was a massive understatement.

Goh: You know, look out for people weaker than you! Make sure to help them when they need it!

Daisuke: I see. Wise words, Goh.

Goh: You're welcome!

Cynical Man: (whispering) Cheery lies...