Chapter 5, Part VII

Chapter 5: On the Origin of Monsters, Part VII (Class Trial)

----

The votes were tallied, and we resigned ourselves to, yet again, see the wheel spin around upon Monokuma hitting a button with his gavel. This time around, it stopped on Noriko's face; and when the cheerful alarm rang out and confetti rained down, we accepted the inevitable.

Noriko Aino, the Ultimate Stalker, was the murderer of Kenji Shima, the Ultimate Interrogator.

She would have one last opportunity to say goodbye, and one last chance to finally repent. And then she would die for what she had done.

----

Monokuma: Well, I'm giving you the opportunity for some final words, Noriko. You wanna say anything?

Noriko: Of course I do!

Momiji: (sigh) What like?

Noriko: Do you want to know what I would've wished for, Daisuke-kun?

Daisuke: Err...

Noriko: One, I would've told Monokuma to spare you from the mass execution...

Daisuke: Well, I'm not surprised...

Noriko: Two, I would've asked for him to make it so that if one of us died, the other would instantly do so as well...

Daisuke: You're starting to creep me out-

Noriko: And three? I would've had you stabbed in the head and your brain rewired so that you would depend on me for the rest of our lives.

Daisuke: Wait, what the fu-

Noriko: Ehehehehe... Ahahahahahahaha! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Daisuke: Why? Seriously, why?!

Noriko: Don't you know already, Daisuke-kun? Can't you guess?!

Daisuke: ...!

Noriko: I can't risk you leaving me, Daisuke-kun! Ever!

Daisuke: And you think this is a healthy, loving relationship?! Noriko... you're beyond saving.

Noriko: Eh...? Daisuke-kun?

Daisuke: I held out hope, even after we've condemned you to death, that you would finally realise that all you had done was ruin my life, your life, our lives, and at the very least apologise for what you've done? And you didn't change. You never did. You're exactly the same girl you always were; a violent, remorseless murderer who's under the delusion that I belong to you like some sort of toy!

Noriko: You dare reject me, Daisuke...?

Daisuke: Yes. And I always will, now that I know that it's too late for you now.

Noriko: Well, in that case...

She reached into her pocket and brandished... a knife? That was quite clearly Kenji's knife she had on her. I realised instantly what she was thinking.