Chapter 5, Part IV

Chapter 5: On the Origin of Monsters, Part IV (Deadly Life)

----

*DING DONG BING BONG*

Monokuma: A body has been discovered! After a certain amount of time has passed, which you may use however you like, the Class Trial will begin!

Both me and Shion stayed put, staring in horror at Kenji's headless body, as Shun ran off to gather the others. It took him some time, but eventually, all of the others were brought to Kenji's body.

Noriko: What a mess.

Momiji: Goddamnit.

Ringo: Not another death...

Daisuke: ...

I felt conflicted. Sure, Kenji went too far; especially with Sumire and Goh. But I would've preferred for him to be locked away, for the rest of his life, not decapitated right in front of me.

And soon after they arrived, so did Monokuma, a familiar black file in his hands. Looking at him, and then Kenji's body, made me think.

Daisuke: Look, about those wishes you promised us-

Monokuma: Oops! Forgot to tell you the exceptions to my motive!

Daisuke: Eh?

Monokuma: No wishes to die, no wishes to bring back dead people, no wishing for more wishes, and trust me, I know all the loopholes! Otherwise, anything goes!

...Welp. There goes my only hope of managing to outsmart him and trying to undo all the harm he had caused. Especially when he pointed towards me.

Monokuma: Oh, you, Daisuke. You've been quite the mouthful with the Monokuma Files every single time, haven't you?

Daisuke: You could say so.

He threw it at my face, and I just stood there in shock as it fell on the floor.

Monokuma: Go on! Pick it up!

I did as he told me to, almost like clockwork. To be fair, it was out of fear - I could easily guess what would happen if I disobeyed.

Monokuma: Everyone else, you know the rest. And remember, it takes three students finding another student's body for the alarm to go off and summon me! You might want to keep that in mind when the numbers start hitting a critical low! Upupupu~

He left us behind afterwards, to start investigating the big questions: who, what, where, when and why. Sounds simple? Well, I assure you, it isn't.

Shion: Well then, let us begin...

Shun: (sigh) Of course.

----

(Investigation: Workshop)

First things first was to, of course, read the file out. Everyone stayed in the room as I recited it.

Monokuma File #5: The victim is the Ultimate Interrogator, Kenji Shima. The victim's body was discovered in the workshop. The estimated time of death is 11:55AM. The cause of death cannot be determined. The victim had been additionally decapitated.

Daisuke: Well, great. We barely have enough to start.

Shun: We're fucked, aren't we?

Momiji: Not quite.

Monokuma File #5 has been added to the Truth Bullets.

Momiji: We're overlooking the body, remember?

Daisuke: Hmm. I'm not an expert, but-

Shion: I can tell. His fingers are crunched up, as if grasping for something. (sniff) Maybe he was attacked from behind?