Chapter 4, Part III

Chapter 4: By the Book, Part III (Daily Life)

----

*DING DONG BING BONG*

Ugh, Monokuma's nighttime spiel. I attempted to count how many times we had heard it, and I... I legitimately couldn't remember specifically how many. My best rough estimate was that we had been here for two weeks. Enough for there to be four murders: Takeshi, Ayaka, Akihiro and in turn Yashiro, and, if we were unlucky, counting.

And to make matters worse, for the second time in the last couple of days, Sumire approached me in the middle of the night, requesting my aid.

Sumire: Hey, you!

Daisuke: What do you need me for this time?

Sumire: It's Shion. I think she didn't take my joke about how Towa Group probably made all those weapons well.

Daisuke: Shion...? Don't tell me she's planning on-

Sumire: ...Come to think of it, considering how self-loathing she's been ever since we came here, it's not out of the question.

That's when I realised the gravity of the situation.

Daisuke: I've got to help her, right now!

Sumire: Daisuke! She left her door open, which would be rather bad news if you intended to kill her. Well, I know you, you'd never do such a thing.

Daisuke: Never.

Sumire: Good luck with your girlfr- I mean, best friend.

I went up to Shion's room, the door slightly ajar. Hearing her crying, I peered in and asked:

Daisuke: Shion? Can I come in? I'm a bit concerned.

Shion: (sniff) Ye-yeah...

Now that I had her approval, I entered her dorm room. The lights were off, but it was still somewhat bright enough for me to look around - true to her talent, bits and pieces of machinery were neatly scattered all around the room, and her sewing kit was on one of her bedside drawers. Oddly enough, accompanying it were two children's books: one of them "Snow White", the other "Goodnight Moon".

As for Shion herself, she was sat on her bed, weeping quietly to herself. Although she was still wearing most of her clothes, she had taken off her tights to reveal... a pair of rather advanced prosthetic legs that she certainly had made by herself, for herself. Regardless, I declined to comment further about them and sat down next to her, to offer my comfort.

 Regardless, I declined to comment further about them and sat down next to her, to offer my comfort

Daisuke: Shion? ...Shion, I'm here.

Shion: ...Daisuke. I don't really know who I am! Looking at myself, I see nothing more than a monster-

Daisuke: You're not! You've never been, Shion!

Shion: Really? I remember killing all those people... in that city. Killing all of them because I was thoroughly convinced that it was the right thing to do. Ah... but now I know better...