Chapter 5, Part V

Chapter 5: On the Origin of Monsters, Part V (Class Trial)

----

It stopped, yet again, once the elevator reached the bottom of the shaft.

Momiji: Let's get this over and done with.

Noriko: Agreed!

The doors slid open, and we all stepped into the courtroom. It looked so familiar and yet so different at the same time. Sure, there were the podiums, the giant doors, Monokuma sat on his throne, and yet everything else had once again changed. Carpet and curtains red, walls and ceiling pink. I looked at the floor to see a new pattern: spades, hearts, clubs, and diamonds.

As I expected, there were two more portraits in the circle of podiums; one of Goh, the other of Kenji. I couldn't say anything else. No, seriously, I couldn't, it had nothing to do with Monokuma beginning his spiel before I had a chance to talk - I literally couldn't think of anything to say then.

Monokuma: Enjoying the new look?

Noriko: I am, actually.

Monokuma: Love's in the air tonight...

Daisuke: Wait, really?!

Monokuma: Or it would've been, had he not gotten himself killed in action recently! You know - him!

Shun: Yeah, yeah, we know Kenji's dead-

Ringo: And we can't forget about it. Our lives depend on us finding his killer!

Monokuma: And the killer of some guy you probably never heard of. But yeah. Kenji's more important, although you have more than enough time to spare!

Shion: Eh?

Monokuma: You all know the drill - argue, vote, and then either just the blackened or everyone except the blackened gets executed by me personally! That just about sums up a Class Trial, doesn't it?

Daisuke: (sigh) You could say so...

Monokuma: But enough talk! I'll leave you all to it! All rise, 'cuz court is now in session! Upupupu~

----

Noriko: I think we should find out who killed that strange man first.

Shun: But it's fucking unnecessary! We need to find Kenji's killer, and that's all that matters!

Daisuke: It could give us some additional context, you know?

Ringo: And besides, we need to explain the blackout.

----

(Non-Stop Debate)

Shion: That one that plunged the entire facility into darkness?

Momiji: Of course. And Kenji most likely died during it.

Noriko: I've heard some gossip about it being a power cut...

Shun: It was a goddamn power cut! And I think I know why!

Ringo: Must've been a happy little accident, according to me.

TRUTH BULLET: Circuit Breaker

Daisuke: No, that's wrong!

BREAK!

----

Daisuke: Ringo, the circuit breaker was sabotaged - wires were cut! That's pretty damning evidence that the power cut was done on purpose!

Shun: Exactly! And we need to find the bloody bastard who did it!

Daisuke: If I remember correctly, Momiji named a prime suspect with her testimony. Someone who was in the workshop right before everything went dark.