Chapter 6, Part I

Chapter 6: Distrust, Part I (Deadly Life)

----

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche

----

I slowly opened my eyes, still feeling Monaca clinging onto me as if I was a stuffed toy. After some murmuring, I asked her on what was going on - after all, I didn't hear the morning announcement from Monokuma. Probably because I was still dead asleep.

Daisuke: (yawn) Ah... what's the time?

Monaca: It's 9:00AM, Daisuke!

Daisuke: Oh! I must've needed that little extra bit of sleep!

Of course, I needed it. Especially after what went off yesterday.

Daisuke: Anyways, I have to get ready. You okay?

Monaca: (quietly) Sure.

Of course, I had to brush my teeth, wash my face, change my clothes, all that. Even then, I took so long that she was beginning to lose her patience.

Monaca: They're probably waiting for us right now!

Daisuke: Yeah, and-

That was when I noticed it.

Daisuke: What's that?

I swear it wasn't on the floor last night. A small square appeared to have been slid underneath my door? I picked it up to inspect it further; and it was... an elevator button? Did it have any link to the missing button in the elevator that we used to enter and exit the courtroom? Maybe.

Daisuke: Huh? It looks like an elevator button...

Monaca: What is that doing in your room?

Daisuke: I don't know how it got here - you know that little gap at the bottom of the door?

Monaca: I do. They must've slid it to us, am I right?

Daisuke: Mmm-hmm.

I handed it over to Monaca without another word. Maybe she would have a better idea about where it actually went.

Monaca: There's something on the back as well. "Let's see if you can finally figure it out - M"... doesn't sound good, doesn't it?

Daisuke: Nah, nah, not at all...

Monaca: Now what do we do?

Daisuke: We've gotta tell the others about this! C'mon, let's go!

Monaca: You're right, we should!

----

When we got to the lunch hall, we were met with a strange sight. The others were staring at Monokuma, who was standing near one of the tables - oddly, unresponsive. Despite us prodding him, he didn't seem to budge.

Momiji: He doesn't seem too happy. I wonder why?

Shun: Probably some bad news he heard.

Ringo: Or maybe the fact that his twisted game will soon be over broke him.

Monokuma: ...What do you want?

Monaca: (gulp) I... I want to just end this nightmare.

Of course, it had been a nightmare. We had been faced with the accusation of at least one of us having done drugs. Been threatened with our own fears and insecurities. Been offered a way to signal the outside world for help. Been tempted by an entire armoury of weapons. Been peddled wishes that he could've easily turned on their head.