The One That Got Away

It was 11am, Saturday December 16th. Jamie and Eddie were both working today. Pop had the girls

"Cannot wait to get these tacos. Have you ever had them!?" Eddie asked Casey as they got out of their rmp and headed to the food truck.

"Ha, no I haven't." Casey told her.

"Ugh! You just wait. They're amazing. Jamie's gonna be jealous, I'll have to send him a picture." Eddie said.

"Haha. Hey wait, what's that guy up to?" Casey said and pointed toward an alleyway in between two small businesses.

"Only one way to find out." Eddie said and they crossed the street.

"Hey! Sir! Do you own this building? Or work-" Eddie started to ask but he got spooked.

"Gun!" Casey pointed out and yelled, Eddie quick pulled hers off her belt.

-Bang! Bang!-
The guy fired two shots and ran the other way.

"Bang!" Eddie fired back but he got away.

"Ugh! God! Shit!" Casey shouted. Eddie turned and looked to see him on the ground bleeding from his arm.

"Casey!" She shouted and holstered her weapon as she ran to his side to help.

"10-13! We got an officer down! We need a bus to this location!" Eddie radioed immediately.

"You're okay you're okay!" Eddie told him, she was panicked and held pressure over the wound.

"All units be on the lookout for an armed man, wearing black sweatpants, a green hoodie, heading east toward second street."
Eddie quick called over the radio.

"Ugh! Shit that hurts!" Casey said wincing in pain.

"I know! You got it, you're fine! I hear the ambulance! Do you hear it!?" Eddie asked under pressure.

"Hey! REED STAY WITH ME! DO YOU HEAR THE AMBULANCE!?" Eddie asked getting louder as his eyes started to close. The ambulance pulled up to the scene and took over.

"Shot to his left arm, it looks like it's just a graze, I held pressure but there's so much blood I don't know if it helped." Eddie told the Emts panicked and scared.

"Thank you, we got it from here." He said and they sped off. Eddie felt lost all of a sudden, she talked to the couple officers who also arrived on a scene and headed to the hospital.
——
Jamie was filing paperwork when an officer Witten stopped at his doorway.

"Sergeant Reagan, 10-13 in the west village!" She said. Jamie turned around, his heart sinking.

"Janko was patrolling that sector today." He said blankly and pale.

"Yeah! They're probably at St. Benjamin's, let's go!" Witten said. Jamie grabbed his coat and they ran to the car. Witten drove and Jamie started trying to get a hold of Eddie. No answer.

They got to the hospital and ran to the emergency center.

"Hi! Officer was brought in...-" Rachel started panicking to the front desk women. Jamie saw a glimpse of an nypd uniform being wheeled quickly around the corner from a distance on a gurney.

"Eddie!" He yelled and went after them. His heart was racing, his whole body felt like he could do anything.

"Jamie!" Eddie called out. He turned around getting whiplash to see Eddie walking toward him.

"Ugh thank god!" He grabbed her and hugged her tighter then he's ever hugged her before.

"I'm fine...?" She said confused.

"I thought it was you." He told her taking a deep breath, a sigh of relief and planted a wet kiss right on her lips.

"No...Casey. His arm." She told him and wiped her lips.

"What the hell happened out there!?" Jamie asked, thinking he had assigned her a safe patrol post today.

"We were walking, came across this guy in an alley trying to get into a side door. Asked if he owned the building, next thing you know he's pulling a gun, shoots at Casey. I fired a shot but missed, Casey's on the ground fighting for air...and here we are." She said shaking her head.

"Huh, Geez. Did you get a good look at him?" Jamie asked.

"Yeah I called it over the radio before I came here. I know Davis and Chavez were close by, they didn't see him though." She said.

"Alright. Well maybe I'll make some calls. See if anyone has cameras around the area." Jamie said, pulling his phone out and walked to the side of the hall. Eddie was bombarded by a couple fellow officers coming in support.

The doctor came out and told them he was going to be fine. They got the bullet out, he was still groggy from the anesthesia and probably won't be up for visitors until tomorrow. Jamie was still making phone calls but heard the good news.

After a couple minutes he approached Eddie and told her what he knew.

"We got the footage. Eli Panstina. He did 12 weeks of community service for arson." Jamie told her.

"Community service? That's it!?" Eddie asked shocked.

"I know. Somethings off, how bout you and me go back to the precinct and look into it?" Jamie suggested.

"Okay, But I have to call and check in with the kids on the way, make sure pops okay for a little longer." Eddie said.

"Yeah, I'm sure he'll understand, let's go." He told her and they headed out.
———

When they got back to the precinct Jamie sat down and started looking up this guy. Eddie pulled up a chair.

"Where is everyone?" Eddie asked looking around at the empty room.

"Probably at the hospital or out looking for this jackass." Jamie said.

"Feels strange." She said and Jamie's phone rang.

"Here." Jamie said pulling up the guys records. He got up to take the call. Eddie looked at the screen awhile to see what else this guy had on his record.

"Sorry dad, I forgot you were away...yeah Eddies fine...okay yup...see ya Sunday." Jamie said and hung up.

"I forgot my dad was ice fishing up at lake Champlain. I called him like 3 times." Jamie said and sat down.

"Oh, geez you must've been really worried about me." Eddie said.

"Felt like someone was punching me in the gut." He admitted.

"Aw. That's really sweet." Eddie said. Jamie stared at her and then laughed shaking his head. Eddie smiled and looked back at the computer.

"He was arrested 6 months ago on drug charges and possession of a stolen weapon.

"So he served like what? 5 months!?" Jamie questioned and took a look.

"Who the hell was his attorney!?" He said and started clicking. Eddie just sat there watching him do his thing.

"Erin Reagan." Jamie read and got up heated.

"Jamie..." Eddie said sighing.

"Don't try and talk me out of this! This isn't the first time she's done this!" He said and got his coat on as he walked out. Eddie let him go. This was between him and Erin, she wanted no parts.
———
Some tense stuff going on! With a splash of some family drama mixed in there at the end! Leave your thoughts/comments/suggestions! Thanks for reading!