Just Another Day- Final Chapter

At 7:46am on January 1st, Jamie and Eddie for the 1st time heard 2 beautiful identical twin girls crying. The doctor held them up over the curtain so they could see them. They were so tiny, both Jamie and Eddie cried tears of joy and fear with each other.

"They're gonna be okay." Jamie kissed her forehead. The babies were immediately taken to be cared for while Eddie was being put back together.

Jamie went over to see them, one baby needed to be intubated, they were having trouble breathing. The other baby was breathing good and the nurse suggested Jamie to do skin to skin as soon as they checked her out and got her hooked up to some of the monitors and everything.

"Let's do it, whatever it takes" he said taking his shirt off, a nurse moved the chair over beside Eddie where she was still being worked on. Jamie sat down and smiled at Eddie he couldn't wait to hold her.

"Here ya go dad. Chest to chest, and then keep this blanket above the shoulders." The nurse said when she laid the tiny little girl on him. She stopped crying almost instantly.

"Aww look how sweet she is..." Eddie was so happy Jamie got to do this but so jealous.

"She's so sweet." Jamie agreeing with her, he could see it in her eyes, she was sad she couldn't hold her and he was. He reached his hand out to hold hers.
——

Once they got to the postpartum room, Eddie was able to do skin to skin with the first baby too. She was so happy but very emotional too.

"I feel like she should be Ava." Eddie said looking at her.

"Me too." Jamie agreed.

"Here's baby number two, we are monitoring her as well, she's pretty jaundice so I'd like her on you for a little momma." The nurse said wheeling in the other baby incubator in beside them.

"Okay, can I nurse them?" Eddie asked.

"So babies don't develop the sucking reflex until about 36 weeks, in about 3 weeks I'd say we can start trying a bottle" the nurse said.

"Oh. So what do I do when my milk comes in?" Eddie wondered.

"Well pumping would be the only option really." She said. Jamie could tell Eddie was disappointed but okay with that. The nurse took Ava from Eddie and put her in her incubator and then set her up with Scarlett. It was awkward to hold such a tiny baby and then have all the cords and machines she was hooked up to. Eddie wished it wasn't like this. It was depressing her, she was glad they were alive but having to keep them in the nicu for a couple weeks is going to be hard.

"Hi sweet girl...Scarlett." Eddie said softly, gently running her thumb over her skin.

"Weird to use their names literally overnight. This was the craziest day." Jamie said out loud to whoever was in the room, but mostly to Eddie.

"You're telling me. 12 hours ago I was having an amazing filet mignon and bringing in the new year with a virgin margarita." Eddie said, she made them all laugh.
——
A couple hours later, they FaceTimed the family to see the babies and talk to them about how they were doing. Nikki and Jason were the only ones who even knew Eddie was having them. So you could imagine the surprise when they saw the twins over the phone.
——

After a long day Jamie and Eddie could finally get some rest. They would hopefully sleep good with the babies in the nicu all night, not being interrupted.

Eddie didn't get as much sleep as she'd hoped, they kept waking her up every hour and a half to pump. Trying to get her supply in and up like she wanted, plus getting keeping her up on her meds and it was just all too much. Not to mention her hormones were everywhere just giving birth and everything.