Making Amends

5:45pm Sunday.

Jamie had the car seat in hand with Ryan in it and the diaper bag on his other shoulder. Eddie was right behind him holding Alaina's hand with a plate of cookies in her other.

"There they are!" Frank greeted when he saw them all come in the door.

"Sorry we're late." Jamie said and carried everything to the kitchen.

"Missy here needed a bath after her nap." Eddie explained.

"Oh I know what that means." Danny said.

"What?" Jamie asked confused.

"Did she pee in it?" He asked.

"No last night we had an incident..." Jamie said and got Ryan out of the car seat.

"Oh?" Frank asked in concern.

"Last night she attempted to get a bath herself...turned on the hot water and burned her feet." Jamie explained.

"So I wanted to hold off as long as possible before putting the burns back in warm water." Eddie said.

"Geez. That'll make your heart stop." Pop said.

"Yeah it did." Jamie said.

"Show grandpa your boo boo Lain." Eddie said and helped her get her shoes off.

"Ooo...doesn't it hurt her to walk?" Danny asked wincing his face in pain.

"She hasn't seemed to care..." Jamie answered.

"Geez." Frank said looking at them.

"And what'd you do to this one? He got frostbite?" Danny joked pointing to Ryan in Jamie's arms.

"Ha ha." Eddie laughed, Jamie too.

"Alright where's everyone? I'm starving." Pop said getting uptight.

"Relax pop. Erin just pulled up." Frank told him.

"Sean's out visiting Jack. Is Joe coming?" Danny asked.

"No he told me he had something." Jamie said.

"C'mon sweetie, let's go sit down." Eddie told Alaina and led her to the table.

"Hey. Sorry." Erin said coming into the house.

"No worries, foods still warm." Frank said and smiled at her, gave her a hug.

"Yeah but not for long." Pop said taking a seat at the table. Eddie was getting Lainey buckled in her high chair and Jamie went to get the bouncy seat from the other room to put Ryan in. Erin came into the dining room to sit down across from Eddie.

"Hey, how are ya?" Eddie asked smiling. She was hoping it wasn't going to be awkward and maybe she just forgot about yesterday.

"Oh you know." Erin answered and sat down not making eye contact with Eddie. Who was she kidding, of course she was going to hold a grudge. No one wants to be told they need to invest in getting back there heart. Of course Eddie agrees that the guy should have been locked up months ago but she was treading lightly.

"Ian! Ook!" Alaina yelled at Erin and pointed to her bow in her hair.

"Wowww so pretty!" She said trying to act friendly and happy. The rest of the family had sat down. Jamie got situated beside Eddie and pop, Ryan on the floor looking up at the ceiling.

"Alright who wants to say grace? Erin? You haven't for awhile go ahead." Frank said and bowed his head.

"I'm not really in the mood dad." She said. Frank picked his head up, looked at her then pop, made eyes at everyone else and then sighed.

"Well...don't you think it will help your mood? Lot to be thankful for." Pop said trying to help. Erin glared at him and then bowed her head to pray.

"Dear lord thank you for surrounding me with people I love. Thank you for blessing me with the opportunity of having a big wig job..." as Erin prayed Eddies eyes shot open and she looked over at Jamie. He was staring down at the floor. No one else had opened there eyes so Eddie closed hers again.

"And most importantly lord I just ask that people become more educated in the law. Amen." Erin said and made the sign of the cross. Eddie and Jamie looked at the faces around the table and each-other as they followed along.

"Bad week?" Frank asked putting his napkin in his lap.

"Guess you could say that." Erin said getting a helping of salad. Frank made eyes at Danny.

"Wasn't me! I didn't step foot in her office this week!" Danny surrendered and everyone looked at Jamie surprised.

"It surprised me too." Erin said glaring. Jamie put down the bowl of peas and looked at Erin.

"I stand by what I said." Jamie said confidently to her face.

"What's going on?" Pop asked.

"Here we go." Danny said taking a bite of pork chop.

"Jamie informed me that I have lost myself with getting this big wig job and should invest in getting my Reagan heart back." Erin said.

"Jamie...?" Frank questioned. He didn't look at his dad. What Erin said didn't sound so bad when it was coming from him.

"He's mad at me for allowing someone to be out on the street. You know he did community based vocational training, aren't you usually for programs like that?!" Erin questioned.

"For first time offenders! This guy was arrested 6 months ago on drug charges and possession of a stolen weapon! Why's he on the street!? Oh right cause you got the bail lowered!" he blew up at her.

"Jamie..." Eddie shook her head and closed her eyes, scared of what else would be said.

"Eddie you could've been the one shot!" He expressed with frustration.

"But I wasn't Jamie!" Eddie argued.

"It was still one of my officers! I swear these defense attorneys and lawyers are worse then the actual criminals!" Jamie admitted angrily.

"Hold on a minute!" Frank said. It got silent but Alaina's sweet voice broke it by saying

"Mommy...it's yowd (loud)" Eddie tried not to laugh and gave Lainey a roll to shut her up.

"This is not what we're going to do here. Now how old are we!? Erin...sounds like you made a bad call..." Frank started saying making Erin a little more mad that he was agreeing with Jamie.

"Yup." Jamie said happy his dad understood.

"As for you Jamie, that's something awfully rude to say to your sister don't you think?" Frank added. Eddie was thankful this was being corrected.

"You guys have to learn how to respect one another's job. How would you like it if your kids were talking to each other like this?" Frank said acknowledging Ryan and Alaina nearby. Both Jamie and Erin signed and everyone sat in silence. Jamie looked over at Eddie and saw Alaina looking at him. He wanted to set an example for his kids.

"Sorry, I shouldn't of said that." Jamie said to Erin.

"I'm sorry I made a bad judgment call." Erin admitted.

"That's more like it, pass the potato's." Frank said and they all continued eating.
———
Phew, that could've went worse! Alaina was funny, you never know what there gonna say. It was probably good they resolved it by the help of there family otherwise who knows what would've happened. Leave your reviews!