Telling the Family

Sunday October 18th 2020

Today was finally the day, Jamie and Eddie were going to announce the pregnancy to the family at Sunday dinner. Jamie's birthday was Wednesday so this was a perfect opportunity to get a cake and write something cute to announce it.

Jamie and Eddie got to the bakery they ordered from and took a peek at it. It said:

"Baby Reagan is in custody ~ set to be released April 2021"

"Oh my...it looks awesome! Thank you so much!" Eddie told the women who brought it out to them. They paid for it and then went on their way.

When they got to the house Eddie put the cake in the fridge hoping no one would peak at it.

They got through the whole dinner without spilling the secret. Luckily, now that Eddie was out of the first trimester she was kind of done with the morning sickness and could actually be a normal person now.

"I think it's time for cake!" Eddie said when everyone was done eating and mostly just sitting and talking.

"Do you have candles? Cause I have some in-" pop started to say and get up with Eddie.

"No no I brought some! Sit I got it." She said wanting everyone to wait and see it at the same time. She went and got the cake out, stuck a candle in it and lit it. She slowly walked it into the dining room and everyone started singing. Jamie and Eddie had the biggest smiles on their face so excited for everyone to read this cake. She set it down in front of him on an angle so everyone could read it. He smiled and quickly blew out the candle, both of them watching everyone's faces reading the cake.

"Wait...what does that say?" Frank said. Danny stood up to read it better and Erin leaned in also.

"Get out of here...!" Danny said smiling ear to ear he walked around to give Eddie a big hug.

"Baby Reagan!? Ah!" Erin said getting up to give hugs.

"What!?" Pop said surprised, Frank smiled with tears in his eyes and got up to congratulate them.

"How exciting!" Nikki said.

"When does it say?" Pop said trying to read it.

"April 2021" Joe told him, he got up to shake Jamie's hand and give Eddie a hug too along with Sean and Jack. Eddie was crying happy tears with all the love. After all the hugs and handshakes everyone found their seats to eat again.

"Well I guess we'll need to make room for another chair huh?" Frank said.

"Yeah I guess so!" Eddie said. Jamie held her hand with a smile on his face.

"So wow, April. How did we not pick up on this!?" Danny said disappointed in his detective skill. Everyone laughed.

"We have no idea, she was really sick up until just a week or so ago." Jamie said and Eddie nodded agreeing.

"Really!?" Erin said.

"Oh yeah, I only got sick here once but yeah I missed out on work a lot actually. It wasn't just in the morning I'd have it all day or all night. It was rough." She said.

"Yeah it was not fun." Jamie added.

"Well we are all extremely excited for this." Frank told them and everyone couldn't help but agree more. Jamie started to cut the cake and hand out pieces to everyone. After everyone got their piece Eddie and Jamie exchanged looks that it was time to also talk about something else with everyone.

"We also wanted to be open and honest with you guys and tell you that this pregnancy took some time to achieve and we were getting a little discouraged...Eddie was taking it harder then I was. We spend a lot of time praying about it and really trying to do it without seeking help from a doctor...but then it finally happened. So that's all. We just thought we should share." Jamie said, there wasn't a dry eye at the table, everyone was so overwhelmed with happiness.

"Good for you." Pop said.

On their way home Jamie took Eddies hand and kissed it.

"Aren't you so relieved?" He asked Eddie.

"Yes, it's the best feeling we don't have to keep a secret anymore." She said.

"Yeah just one more person to tell.." Jamie said. Eddie looked at him confused.

"Your sergeant...?" Jamie told her.

"Uh. I know." Eddie said sighing.

"She's gotta know...she's going to have to lighten your workload" Jamie told her. Eddie was aware she just didn't want to give it up but in order to keep her and the baby safe she knew she had to.

"I know. I will tomorrow." She assured him.

"I'll come with you." He said.

"Why would you come with me?" She asked.

"Well it is our baby, I thought it would be a nice idea to tell people together? I don't know." Jamie said. Eddie now understood his point and agreed they'd go into work tomorrow and announce their news together.