Seeing Double

Date: Friday July 14th 2023
Alaina: 3 years
Ryan: 1 year
——
It was 3 days later.

Eddie had left Henry with the kids just like any other Friday to go to work. Technically she wasn't lying, she was going to work...but she was picking Jamie up and they were going to her first appointment. Then going back to work for the rest of the day.

——

"Alright let's see how baby looks" the tech said as she squirted some jelly on Eddie's belly and started moving the wand over it. They watched the screen trying to make out the baby.

"Do multiples run in either of your families?"

"What?" Jamie said shocked.

"No...!" Eddie was struck.

"Ha...here's one baby. And here's 2." The tech pointed out. Both of them had the widest eyes staring at them. Their hearts stopped pounding.

"Oh my..." Jamie started to say

"God." Eddie finished. The tech was laughing and said congratulations.

"Holy shit." Jamie said and held Eddie's hand.

"Only two right!? No more!?" Eddie asked the tech.

"Only two, and their hearts are both beating you can see, let's see if I can pick up the sound." She said pointing.

"Wow." Jamie said. Then the sound of two heartbeats filled the room. Eddie put her hand over her face, this was so surreal.

"Ha...you okay?" Jamie said grabbing her hand and smiling.

"It's twins." She said and started crying in disbelief still.

"Looks like their identical twins too, so you'll either have two boys or two girls. But we won't be able to tell for a couple more weeks." The tech said.

"Not sure what would be worse" Eddie said and laughed.

The tech continued on looking at everything and recording a couple things.
——
On the way home they were still just in shock and talking about how crazy this was gonna be to have 4 kids under 4. Alaina will be 4 in April but Eddie was due in March.

"My family's gonna freak." He said.

"Yeah they are. Where are they gonna sleep?"

"Well they can share a room. Alaina and Ryan can share for a couple years." He said.

"Yeah and then what?" She asked.

"I don't know, if it's boys we'll put them in a room and if it's girls they can share with Lainey."

"I guess they only sleep in their rooms and that would be okay" she said.

"Yeah, it'll be fine." He grabbed her hand and held it the rest of the way back to work, he could tell she was anxious.
——

When they got back to work they went their separate ways. Eddie was glad it was Friday, it was only her second day on desk duty and she was already bored of it. At least today she was in the back, yesterday she was at the front and with being sick on and off it's hard to sneak away from that spot.

After an hour or so Jamie approached her where she was at the desk.

"Hey you busy?"

"Uh not really...just finishing up reviewing some traffic crash reports."

"Well that's fun!" He said smiling.

"Jamie I'm so bored of this."

"I know. That's why I got something for ya." He set the folder down infront of her.