Mood Swings

Sunday April 4th 2021

Jamie was folding laundry on the bed waiting for Eddie to be ready for family dinner.

"Jamie!" Eddie shouted angry from the bathroom. What did he do now he thought. He took a deep breath before answering knowing the end of this pregnancy had her irritable and her temper was short at times.

"...yes honey?" He said to sweeten her up a little.

"The toilet seat. PUT IT DOWN WHEN YOU ARE DONE!" She said.

"I'm sorry." He said continuing to fold their laundry.

"No your not." She said. He sighed to himself, he was really tired of arguing about something every day that on a normal day wouldn't even be much of a conversation. He didn't say anything back to her.

She came out of the bathroom in a flowy maxi dress, her baby belly was popping. It literally looked like she shoved a beach ball in her dress.

"Hello? Are you gonna talk?" She asked standing infront of Jamie waiting for him to talk.

"Janko I don't have anything to say. I said I was sorry, you said I wasn't?" Jamie said shrugging and dropping the subject.

"I just don't understand why you make more work for me, I can hardly sit down and get up off the toilet as it is, and you just make me work harder for it!" She said getting angry.

"Eddie. I don't do it on purpose? It was accident, why would I try and piss you off?" He asked.

"Cause you just said the other day you think I look hot when I'm mad!" She said.

"Eddie. Trust me. I'm not doing it on purpose. I'm walking around here on eggshells trying not to set you off!" He defended, and the angry emotion in her face changed to sadness, she looked down at the floor and played with her hands.

"Huh. Honey..." Jamie sighed watching her get upset. He stopped doing the laundry and just brought her into him for a hug. He didn't know what to say so he just kept running his hands on her back trying to comfort her as best he could. He was just as ready for her to have this baby and be done with these mood swings.

"I'm sorry..." her voice trailed off, she looked up at him wanting to say more but got choked up.

"Stop. It's okay." He shook her head at her and kissed her forehead.

"I love you." He said and hugged her again. She let go and took a deep breathe, wiped her tears and was ready to go.

———

In the middle of family dinner Eddie was coming back to sit down after she had gotten up to pee for the 3rd time and she was annoyed.

"You look like your ready to pop huh?" Joe said seeing how big she was.

"Um yeah. I'm so done being pregnant. 1 more week." She said sitting down.

"Ha Yeah I can tell." Joe said sincerely.

"What do you mean by that?" Eddie said irritated by his comment. Jamie intervened to try and redirect her focus.

"Eddie do you want the last scoop of mashed potatoes? I know they're your favorite." Jamie said grabbing the bowl.

"Oh what? Just cause I'm fat you think I'm like  a garbage disposal or something? Unbelievable." She got up and left the room. Everyone's faces were confused and not sure what to think. Jamie sat there giving himself a minute before he walked back into the fire.

"Um look, sorry man...I can go talk to her I started it." Joe said getting up.

"It's not your fault you could compliment her she'd bite your head off." Jamie got up.

"Can I at least try?" Joe asked. Jamie was nervous for Joes well being, it was basically sending him in to do diffuse a bomb without knowing anything about bombs.

"Jamie take a break. Let Joe give it a try." Frank said.

"Yeah, if it goes south then you can try but let an outsider give it a shot." Erin suggested.

"Alright. Well. Good luck...I'll be here." Jamie sat back down and said. Joe walked out the front door where Eddie was sitting on the front step.

"Leave me alone Jamie." Eddie said.

"Uh actually it's me." Joe said. Eddie turned around to see Joe.

"Oh..." she said and turned back around feeling a little bad. Joe sat down next to her.

"I wanted to say sorry if I made you feel angry or upset in any sort of way back there." He confessed.

"It's fine." She said.

"I may be single and young but I'm old and wise enough to know when women say they're fine they really aren't." Joe told her. Eddie looked at him and smirked knowing he was right.

"I'm just sick of being huge and uncomfortable, my feet hurt so bad, not to mention I have to pee every 5 minutes. I just want to feel normal and I can't when people keep pointing out how big I am or how ready I look." She told him.

"Well I'm really sorry I pointed that out to you. Forgive me?" Joe asked.

"Of course. I know I have mood swings left and right. So I'm also sorry." Eddie said.

"So we're good?" Joe asked.

"Yeah we're good Joe." Eddie smiled, and Joe put his arm around her for a side hug.

"Good." He said and they got up to head back into the house.